Grand-Place (Grote Markt), Brussels, Belgium  » Travel  »
Brussels, Belgium
  • I find it really a big square with enough place for all the hordes of tourists who were there snapping pictures of the mixed Gothic and medieval buildings dating from the 17th century (I believe)
  • The atmosphere is quite festive and I enjoyed myself very much (watch out though as twice I landed in these cobblestones which were loose and in addition, I wore flimsy shoes)
  • One of the best ways to admire the various buildings on the square market is by sitting on the terraces of cafes which abound in the area
  • The square is very interesting and historical (declared a UNESCO heritage site since 1998)

• by bethbarl

I was house or apartment hunting in Brussels last week. My husband and I agreed that apart from visiting possible accommodation, we should also see some historical places in Brussels. One of these is the Grand-Place.

To get to this place (and if going by car), you have to look for the panel Centre or Centrum which should take you right to the place. By Metro, it is the De Brouckere or Parc stop and by train, the Central Station is just a few minutes walk. There is enough signage to indicate where it is. It is not easy to find a parking and if you do not know the streets (lots of one way roads) then chances are you will have difficulties to find one.

were there snapping pictures of the mixed Gothic and medieval buildings dating from the 17th century (I believe). The town hall or Mairie in French is located in this square and is one of the more impressive buildings in the square.

August is practically a dead month in Brussels as it seems everyone is away for the summer holidays (except for the tourists). I was delighted to see that there is still a lot of human traffic in the Grand Place even on a Sunday afternoon. The atmosphere is quite festive and I enjoyed myself very much (watch out though as twice I landed in these cobblestones which were loose and in addition, I wore flimsy shoes).

There was an exhibition on Latvia which was currently ongoing at the square. One of the best ways to admire the various buildings on the square market ...

• is by sitting on the terraces of cafes which abound in the area. There is even beer tasting in these cafes (Belgium in general has bout 300+ varieties of beer, commercial or artisanal).

At the Falstaff (Rue Henri Maus), there are double deck sightseeing buses where you can buy tickets directly from the driver (valid for 24 hours) and tour around the city. In this area, you can buy authentic French fries (or should I say Belgian fries as the origin of French fries is in Belgium). Otherwise, the whole place is crawling with cafes, restaurants and brasseries. I smell gauffres (waffles) and crepes everywhere as just about every 10 meters, there is a stall selling these stuff with all sorts of toppings imaginable (from Nutella, ice-cream to fruits or just plain confectioner’s sugar).

When you walk around the square, you will

eventually end up on Rue Neuve or the City 2. This is a good place for shopping as it is a closed road – flanked on both sides by shops. It always makes a good stroll whether through the cobblestone streets or passing through the various Galleries (can be useful as they are covered walks when it is raining as it so often happens even in July or August!).

If you are in Brussels, this is one area which is not to be missed. The square is very interesting and historical (declared a UNESCO heritage site since 1998). There are plenty of shops, restaurants in the area should you get bored with looking at the architecture. Don’t forget to watch this year’s flower carpet (Tapis de Fleur) which will be on August 13 and 14 when the whole square will be filled with flowers.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3810081228551231/k2311a0810/8.10.10