Nurofen Syrup for Children  » Medicine  »
  • I think it was because of the travelling we were doing in the past month and the frequent change of environment
  • I like that this package also includes a syringe for dispensing the right amount of medication
  • All in all, this is a fever and pain reliever which I recommend especially to kids who have an aversion to taking medications

• by bethbarl

My youngest daughter has been telling me for the past days that she is not feeling good. I think it was because of the travelling we were doing in the past month and the frequent change of environment. In addition, the weather has really been funny lately (especially for July and August)- a lot of cold days and then warm ones. I gave her Nurofen Syrup for Children because I had nothing else with me while in Brussels, Belgium last week.

This medication can be bought at the local pharmacy (Belgium or Luexmbourg) without a prescription. It is in the same packaging as the regular syrup I give to my kids – a 200 ml plastic bottle with a secure press and twist cap. I like that

this package also includes a syringe for dispensing the right amount of medication. I simply calculate the weight of my kid (5ml for every 10kg) and give the appropriate dosage (maximum of 4 hours of interval if I remember well the instructions of her paediatrician). In any case, the instructions on the packet are clear enough

Nurofen’s active ingredient is ibuprofen (20 mg/ml) which is meant specifically to treat fever and pain. My daughter did not have any fever in the first few days just a feeling of malaise. She also told me that she was sure that she would eventually get sick. When she did get a fever, I did not hesitate to run to the nearest pharmacy and bought this medication.

This is ...

• an orange flavoured syrup (also exists in strawberry flavour) which I could easily give to her at least without much resistance. For children with diabetes, it is advisable to get Nurofen without sugar as the regular Nurofen syrup has about 3.3 grams/ml. of sugar.

In the beginning, she told me that it was not like her usual medication (Curpol or Junifen) but she did not mind taking it. I was quite relieved because it is easier this way – no long discussions and games of hide and seek. It takes effect after a few hours (usually 2) after which her fever subsides. I gave this syrup at least twice a day (right after a meal as ibuprofen is known to have adverse effects on the stomach; those

who have sensitive stomachs should eat something before taking this medication). I did not see any reason to give it more than this because she was always responding well to the medication. I’m glad she reacted well to it - no allergic reactions whatsoever or stomach troubles and after 2 days, I discontinued the syrup when I did not hear any more complaints.

All in all, this is a fever and pain reliever which I recommend especially to kids who have an aversion to taking medications. It is easy to dispense and works well to relieve fever and pain symptoms. At € 8,72 a bottle, this is not cheap but since it gave relief to my kid, I did not mind paying this amount at all.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2610081228541131/k2311a0810/8.10.10