Southside McDonalds  » Restaurants  »
2.0
840 Park Ave., Beaver Dam, WI 53916
  • Since my youngest was ready for a nap, I dropped the kids off at our house first and, because it was closer to our house, I decided to just go to the McDonalds on the south side of town
  • After stopping there, I seriously regret not braving the road work and just going to the one on the other side of town
  • I think the next time I promise my kids a happy meal from McDonalds I’m going to go to the one across town instead

• by Review Vigilante

My wife asked me to pick up the kids from my parents when I got done with work. And, figuring it would get them out the door faster, I promised them I would swing by McDonalds and pick up dinner there. Since my youngest was ready for a nap, I dropped the kids off at our house first and, because it was closer to our house, I decided to just go to the McDonalds on the south side of town; despite the fact I rarely have had a good experience there. After stopping there, I seriously regret not braving the road work and just going to the one on the other side of town.

Since I was there a little after 5 and there was a big rush (especially in the drive thru, which is why I avoided that), I was more than willing to be a bit forgiving if my order took

longer. But, I have to say that place is easily one of the most disorganized McDonalds ever. First of all, they recently remodeled the McDonalds to make it more adult-oriented (it has a fireplace and a couple televisions that broadcast news).

When they did that, they shortened their counter. If you go there when there is nobody in the restaurant, this isn’t a huge deal. But, during the busy time, it leads to a mess.

They insisted on doing two or three orders per cash register at a time but, because their staff in the kitchen area couldn’t keep up with that (along with the drive thru), the orders would get pushed together. Even more important is the fact you couldn’t tell who was standing in line or who was just waiting for their food. I’m not claustrophobic but I was starting to feel like it (especially when I was standing next to ...

• that overweight stinky kid) and I was certainly glad I didn’t bring the kids with me.

As I said before, when a restaurant is busy like that, I can forgive a little delay on my order. But, I swear this particular McDonalds takes the fast out of fast food. They had it prepared relatively quick but several of their employees walked right past it without even making an effort to put it in a bag and bring it to the counter.

In fact, it didn’t happen until the manager came up to the front and saw it. I had to wait so long, my wife assumed I had gone across town to get the food. Of course, I will say the visit wasn’t a total loss.

I did get a free soda out of it. This wasn’t intentional or anything like that. Instead, the place was so disorganized and my cashier was so

overwhelmed, she gave me one with my food.

I figured she had given me a meal instead of just the sandwich I ordered (which I wouldn’t have been happy about but was too tired of standing in line to fight it). But, it turns out she must have thought she gave me a meal instead since I wasn’t charged. I probably should feel a bit guilty about it.

But, again, I had a bit of inconvenience there so I figured I was entitled to that courtesy; even if it wasn’t intentional. Despite getting the free drink out of the deal, I still would be hesitant to visit that McDonalds again. Yes, it was a busy time of the day.

But good restaurants find a way to keep up with the afternoon rush so that’s really not much of an excuse. I think the next time I promise my kids a happy meal from McDonalds I’m going to go to the one across town instead.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 710081228341131/k2311a0810/8.10.10