Great Value Brats  » Food  »
2.5
  • My biggest problem with this brand is there isn’t any taste to the brats
  • I would grade them above some other brands of bratwurst I have purchased in the past but I wouldn’t classify them as among the best when it comes to flavor
  • If the Great Value brand had cost a significantly lower amount than the Johnsonville brand (about $1 less or so), then I probably would recommend it
  • They weren’t the worst brats I ever tasted but they definitely weren’t worth the price either

• by Review Vigilante

Ever since I first saw Great Value brats at our local Walmart, I have wanted to try them. But, even though they are a store brand, they have always been more expensive than the Johnsonville brats I normally buy so I never did.

This past weekend, however, they were about four cents less than Johnsonville so I finally bought a pack of them.

While not terrible, I don’t think there was enough to them to

make me want to make a change.

My biggest problem with this brand is there isn’t any taste to the brats.

Johnsonville brats normally have a taste that isn’t really spicy or anything but does have a bit of a kick to it and that flavor is there regardless of how I cook them (I usually either grill them or boil them).

The Great Value brats didn’t have that.

They were actually very plain.

I ...

• would grade them above some other brands of bratwurst I have purchased in the past but I wouldn’t classify them as among the best when it comes to flavor.

I will give the brats some credit though, they didn’t shrink as bad as most other brands of brats when cooked; including when compared to Johnsonville.

This is usually a sign they don’t have a lot of fat in them (which gets cooked out).

If the

Great Value brand had cost a significantly lower amount than the Johnsonville brand (about $1 less or so), then I probably would recommend it.

But, considering they were only 4 cents less and I had to wait quite some time before they were even a slight savings, I just can’t see any reason why you should purchase these instead of the better known, higher quality brand.

They weren’t the worst brats I ever tasted but they definitely weren’t worth the price either.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2710081228321131/k2311a0810/8.10.10