Sid Meier’s Pirates!  » Games  »
1.5
    • Item: Sid Meier’s Pirates! Location: by James Fleming

I remember a time when it seemed like almost any computer game worth anything had the words “Sid Meier’s”… in front of it. The man surely knew how to make computer games. Even before he designed the classic “Civilization,” one of the best computer games of all

times Sid was still where its at.

As a kid my favorite of all of his games was this little gem right here, Pirates! Unfortunately, the only time I ever got to play it was at my Grandfather’s, since my dad was too cheap to buy the game for me and of course as a kid I didn’t have any money to go out and buy a computer game. But when I was at my grandparents’ house I would play it and play it and play it and loads of fun would be had.

So flash forward many years, and I am now a bit older, and Sid Meier’s Pirates! is now ...

• Sid Meier's Pirates!
      available as Abandonware. What joy! Now I can play it even more!

So I download it, run it and am very excited. Only to find that it freezes up on me almost at the very beginning of the game. Nothing I can do can fix it. I even run it in DOSBox

to no avail. Something is wrong but I don’t know what it is, but it sucks very, very much. And every now and then I try downloading it again to see if it will magically work, but it doesn’t. Which leads to the very poor rating this game is receiving, although it deserves much better.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 282801122830631/k2311a0128/1.28.07