Yamasa Zaru Soba Dipping Sauce

• by chikois

We got our Yamasa Zaru Soba dipping sauce at the local grocery (Robinson’s Metro East mall) for around Php 140. I’ve also seen some available at the grocery at Megamall and UniMart Greenhills. It is packaged in a 330ml bottle which has a sticker that says “Yamasa Zaru Soba Senka”.

Like with other Yamasa sauces, the bottle has a picture of the dish it supposed to be used on, in this case, some cold noodles on a

Zaru soba mat. This really helps if you don’t know how to read Japanese.

This dipping sauce can be used right after opening the bottle.

I’ve only tried Zaru Soba once and it was a long time ago but I can safely say that this sauce is identical to the one I’ve tasted before.

It is very watery and the flavor is very, very faint. It leans towards the sweet side but you can taste the saltiness of ...

• the dashi.

In my opinion, it would be best to take a minimalist approach in preparing a zaru soba meal which includes this sauce. The one I had before only had cold green tea soba topped with a bit of shredded nori and raw quail’s egg, which was perfect.

The meal I prepared at home included kaki-age which had it’s own tempura dipping sauce. I also put some scallions with the soba, aside from the nori which

along with the kaki-age and the tempura sauce might have overwhelmed the taste of the Zaru Soba Senka.

I think it would go well with raw quail’s egg like what I had last time. Since it is quite watery, the egg will help give it a thicker consistency so that it will stick to the noodles.

I also remember that it helped remove some of the “gamey” flavor from the egg so I may try it again with that.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 279081227401031/k2311a089/8.9.10