Librivox - free audio books
  • I found that annoying, especially when I was enjoying one reader's tone, inflection, etc. It broke the rhythm of the recording
  • Another problem is that some of the readers have strong, sometimes foreign, accents and can be difficult to understand
  • Those downsides apart, I think it is fantastic service
  • And I love the public service dimension of it

• by 1fealsunai

I have a long commute to work and don’t like that it is often ‘dead’ or wasted time. I have often thought about listening to audiobooks, but do not have much money to spend on them. Then, I discovered Librivox.

This website offers free downloads of a wide range of books that are in the public domain - this usually means books whose authors died 50 or more years ago. They can do this because people volunteer to record themselves reading these books, which are then made available for download from the website. Even though, I don’t get to listen to the latest John Grisham

novel on Librivox, there are lots of classic books that I never got round to reading. And if I’m honest, some are quite heavy and take quite a lot of effort to get into, so I would be unlikely to tackle them. Listening to them is much easier! So far, I’ve listened to The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James, The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Awakening by Kate Chopin and am in the middle of Venus in Furs by Sadermasoch.

The sound files are downloaded in MP3 format or ‘ogg vorbis’(a format I had never heard of), chapter by chapter. It can ...

• take a little time, especially if there are many chapters. You can listen on your computer, but I transfered them to my cell phone, so that I can listen in the car or anywhere. The recording quality is usually excellent. However, there are some downsides.

Readers are assigned individual chapters to read. So, sometimes you get several chapters recorded by one reader, and then it suddenly switches to another reader. Or every chapter has a different reader. I found that annoying, especially when I was enjoying one reader’s tone, inflection, etc. It broke the rhythm of the recording. Another problem is that some of the

readers have strong, sometimes foreign, accents and can be difficult to understand. I found that I sometimes lost track of the story. However, that was rare enough.

Those downsides apart, I think it is fantastic service. There are so many more books there that I want to ‘read’. And I love the public service dimension of it: people giving of their time freely to make books available to others. It is possible for anyone to volunteer. And one day, when I have more leisure time I just might, though I would be a little nervous about the quality of my reading and of inflicing my (rural) accent on others!

Francis says :

I agree with you on the accents and different readers for different chapters. I think this is what I would do if I wanted to download books-opposed to streaming. I do know that there are more diverse audio book selections on YouTube and that you can turn those into mp3 files. As far as Librivox goes I think it’s a great organization and the books that you find on there you can depend on.

joseph tabler says :

re : And I love the public service dimension of it
    I totally agree… about 4 months ago, I decided to listen to some…and then shortly after to read/record for Librivox….. a year previously, I thought I would rather have a professional voice to listen to…..I re-evaluated and saw this as listening to a friend or perhaps very good reader.

I love Old Time Radio and this is fairly close to being a part of Radio…. spoken stories are perhaps even more natural, certainly older, than a book or film to communicate stories/fiction or non-fiction.

I want to encourage you to give it a try….a good mike was only $ 115 and the software (audacity) for editing is free. Lots of good how-to vids to assist in learning how.

It is possible your voice will be a great addition to some of the Plays that are being put together….and perhaps very appropriate for reading some regional novels. And then, you might find some other accents to work on.
    aloha,
    joe t.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 209081226850931/k2311a089/8.9.10