Yamasa Tempura Dipping Sauce

• by chikois

The Yamasa Tempura Dipping Sauce we got came in a 330ml plastic bottle for around PHP140, which is roughly as much as a can of soda. Nothing really fancy about the packaging; there’s a picture of tempura shrimps on the label which helps if you can’t read Japanese characters, because there are a lot other Yamasa sauces which come in similar-looking bottles. Just pop the cap and pull out the tab to use.

Be careful

when pouring as it has a watery consistency and not syrupy, as a tempura sauce should. Lock the cap back on and then refrigerate when you’re done using.

I can only compare this to tempura sauces I’ve tasted in most Japanese fast foods and I can say it is pretty good, if not better. Most of the sauces I’ve tasted are generally sweet-ish and watery, while this one is a bit saltier and has a faint ...

• “kick” to it. The salty flavor might be from the dashi and the “kick” probably from the mirin or cooking wine. There is a hint of sweetness but is easily overwhelmed by the salty flavors. We’ve used this with a bit of grated ginger on our kaki-age but I haven’t tried it with ebi tempura or kara-age yet. It’s tastes a whole lot better when steamed first, since it will probably be cold coming out
        of the refrigerator. I wish I can compare this with other pre-packaged tempura sauces but this was the only brand we could find on the Oriental foodstuff aisle at the grocery of Robinsons Metro East mall. Fortunately I’ve also seen this at the grocery of Megamall and Unimart Greenhills.

We will definitely buy more of these Yamasa products. It also really good in our pockets. In one small bottle you can have a lot of servings. We really enjoy the Japanese tempura that we made with the kick and help of Yamasa. Thank you so much Yamasa.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 278081226561231/k2311a088/8.8.10