Sandalo by Byblos Eau de Toilette Fragrance  » Perfume  »
  • I think what defines Byblos’ sandalo is the slightly watery accord per se, since it’s actually a cologne
  • What I like about it is that the main note remains transparent all throughout, however I sensed - it sinks with a faint sweetness, like pine trees which I think is a characteristic of cedar notes
  • This would make an interesting scent for fussy women who are averse to flamboyant fragrances, hence, an understated cologne for the day
  • The thing I love about sandalwood is the linear quality of the fragrance, it’s neither sour nor bitter
  • This woody scent is suitable for both genders I believe

• by jhunie

After an exuberant round of cocktail perfumes the past summer, I’m tapping on sandalwood fragrances this time. I’ve been looking at bargain perfumes recently and got this one from Amazon. Sandalwood is a very exquisite note for most fragrance recipes with a high price tag because it’s rarely produced, except probably in India or Australia, so all the more I was excited to add this to my little niche of woody scents. When the item arrived, it was exactly as pictured on the site. It looks very low-profile for my taste. It’s an EDT spray so I expected its concentration to be less than perfumes. I was thinking of wearing a lighter variation of sandalwood for the day because the cold weather makes this predominant base note dizzying if I indulge too much of it. Sandalo by Byblos

is really a nose-friendly variation of sandalwood. It has a very lightweight aroma which I suppose makes a good starting point for those who are not yet accustomed to sandalwood.

I think what defines Byblos’ sandalo is the slightly watery accord per se, since it’s actually a cologne. It’s not however verging on freshness like most cologne of sorts. What I like about it is that the main note remains transparent all throughout, however I sensed - it sinks with a faint sweetness, like pine trees which I think is a characteristic of cedar notes. The sandalwood note is quite fragrant on top and merges with a musky base. It’s not like the dry Mediterranean type I’ve smelt before, instead a moist woody kind. I appreciate that it’s not too strong and it smells delicate on my skin. This would ...

• make an interesting scent for fussy women who are averse to flamboyant fragrances, hence, an understated cologne for the day.

The thing I love about sandalwood is the linear quality of the fragrance, it’s neither sour nor bitter. It’s straightforward and sometimes mysterious. There are no intricacies involved which result to a lot of fragrance pining, or those self-indulgent notes. This woody scent is suitable for both genders I believe. The base has a slight resemblance to Kiehl’s oil musk with that woody, herbal accord. This EDT doesn’t capture the authentic aroma of sandalwood that can be found in more expensive sandalo perfumes but despite its less dense concentration, it still has the essence of it. Some essential oils like lavender tend to smell weird for long periods but I find this particular fragrance more tolerable.

I haven’t tried layering this with

other fragrances in my stash but I certainly think this would make a good fixative for those spicy perfumes that need a bit of lift and longevity. Regarding its sillage, the musk and sandalwood notes adhere well because I can still smell it on myself, but the sweetness sort of expires. Just like musky base notes, it remains as residue after wearing it for long hours. But the life span of the scent overall isn’t very impressive. The fragrance is androgynous, it makes a softer masculine perfume as well as a distinct feminine scent. It comes in a clear cylindrical bottle and appears with a yellowish tint.

At a bargain price of 20 dollars for a big bottle, this is a suitable alternative to extravagant sandalwood-based perfumes. I personally recommend it. It’s also a fail-safe gift either for a man or woman.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 568081226381131/k2311a088/8.8.10