“Lack” TV Bench from IKEA  » Furniture  »
  • I like how low it is to the ground, since I usually sit on the carpet
  • One thing to note though, even if you are using the Lack as a coffee table, I would highly recommend keeping the supporting legs in place
  • I was storing a lot of things on the bottom shelf, so I removed the supporting legs because I found they got in the way
  • After a couple of month's use, I noticed that the table top had started to dip slightly in the middle
  • I selected the black-brown or wenge color, and my only problem with the paint is that it has started to peel off the legs

• by Stephanie Angeles

The Lack TV Bench from IKEA is a low table that can work as either a TV Bench or a coffee table. These are its dimensions:

Width: 58 5/8 ” Depth: 21 5/8 ” Height: 13 3/4 ”

I personally use the Lack as a coffee table and not a TV bench. I like how low it is to the ground, since I usually sit on the carpet. It is ideal for doubling as a dining table, if you enjoy sitting on the floor like I do. The bottom shelf is very useful, as it maximizes storage space; the lack of any backboards makes it easy to pull things out from either side.

place. I was storing a lot of things on the bottom shelf, so I removed the supporting legs because I found they got in the way. After a couple of month’s use, I noticed that the table top had started to dip slightly in the middle. I do not keep many things on the table top, mostly just remote controls, a few magazines, and my laptop (which I keep towards the edge and not in the middle), yet the wood / particle board has started to sag in the middle. This is most likely due to the table’s length. At almost 59″, it is quite a long table.

I love how the Lack looks. I would not describe it as sleek, but its height (or lack of) makes it look more refined.

• I selected the black-brown or wenge color, and my only problem with the paint is that it has started to “peel” off the legs. I have a shag carpet, which hides the areas that it has started to peel, but on a bare floor, it would not be very attractive. The quality of the acrylic paint is just not very good; however, for $79.99 Canadian, you pretty much get what you pay for.

Since the table top and shelf are hollow in the middle and not solid wood, the Lack is easier to clean. I normally just wipe it down with a damp cloth. That being said though, the table also is not as strong as real wood. I had some friends over, and someone was passing a bottle of maple syrup around (the

glass souvenier bottle that is shaped like an actual maple leaf). Sure enough, they dropped the glass bottle on my table while passing it. The bottle had no damage, but my table top looked like someone had punched it. The particle board cracked quite easily.

Overall, the Lack is an average purchase. I recommend it for people who have a bit more space around the house. The table’s length makes it quite large, and would not work in a very small space. The paint around the legs can be repaired or hidden, but there is no denying the fact that it is peeling right off, or the fact that the table top is not very strong. Regardless, it is a good table with ample storage. Low enough to be used as a foot rest, too.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 576081224621131/k2311a086/8.6.10