My Fair Lady: A Film by George Cukor (1964)  » Movies  »
  • My Fair Lady is definitely one of the best Audrey Hepburn films to date
  • I thought she’d appeal to me like a pitiful character, rather I was displeased by Eliza’s annoying manner of speech
  • They were never officially a couple in the movie, as far as I can remember, though I believe the ending may have given any hope
  • I have to disagree though that this is the finest of Audrey’s musical performance, if you really want to see her in action, I suggest you watch Funny Face where her ballet skills are highlighted

• by jhunie

My Fair Lady is definitely one of the best Audrey Hepburn films to date. I’m not enthralled by the designer, Ralph Lauren and his bygone collection inspired from this musical film. But it aroused my interest to watch it anyway. All its posters in Technicolor suggested a rich plethora of costumes and classist elements. There’s always a dream-like quality in many of Audrey Hepburn’s movies and this one epitomizes that, but I was wrong in thinking she’s going to be the same untouchable figure in an Huberto de Givenchy cocktail dress. I was partly correct though, only at the latter part of the film where she’s transformed into a well-bred lady. But I had to squint my eyes twice upon seeing Audrey Hepburn’s grubby face as the floral-themed opening credits subsequently led to the first scene of the movie. It was unbelievable. She appeared believably like a beggar. In response, I held on and thought it was going

to be a different facet of Audrey Hepburn’s acting skills I was about to witness that night.

Audrey plays the role of a flower girl named Eliza, selling violets off the streets with basket in tow. I thought she’d appeal to me like a pitiful character, rather I was displeased by Eliza’s annoying manner of speech. It’s the worst character I have seen Audrey Hepburn become. She stumbled on Henry Higgins who directly despised her and they both ended in a squabble. Another prominent character in the film was Mr. Bickering. My favorite scene was the embassy ball where Professor Higgins and Bickering brought Eliza and the whole affair was supposed to be her simulation to test how she’s improved. As a far cry to the beginning of the film, I have never seen Audrey Hepburn looked so beautiful – her most glamorous moment in the history of cinema.

The film has a very typical Cinderella story. There are moments along the ...

• process of Eliza’s transformation when the movie delivers a certain feel-good giddiness. But the film wraps up as an odd love story. The aspiring bachelor of sorts, Professor Higgins continues to revoke his feelings for Eliza. They were never officially a couple in the movie, as far as I can remember, though I believe the ending may have given any hope. It remains unresolved whether Eliza married her suitor in lieu of Henry Higgins.

George Cukor directed this musical. It was only a year after I ruled out my still colorful recollection of the movie, believing it was literally shot in England until I had known recently that it was in fact, filmed inside a studio. Hence it was a grand production. The musical renditions which I believe were derived from the original play, were often hilarious while others were simply worth remembering. There’s a particular song I really like, the one sang by Eliza at the start of the

film with an equally amusing title: ‘wouldn’t it be lover-ly’. It’s very enchanting and it marked the cue where Eliza dreamt of becoming a decent ‘lady in the shop’. Most of the songs however are relevant to the scenes, like dialogues, mostly depicting an exchange of contempt between the 2 main leads.

I can still remember in detail how the movie ended, especially Professor Higgins’ snarky question – ‘where the devil are my slippers?’ It was all memorable, even the ambiguous ending. Of all Audrey Hepburn happy endings, My Fair Lady’s open-ended demise is one that stays unforgettable but also inadequately romantic. I have to disagree though that this is the finest of Audrey’s musical performance, if you really want to see her in action, I suggest you watch Funny Face where her ballet skills are highlighted. Otherwise, if you want to see the fairest of Audrey Hepburn, next to Breakfast at Tiffany’s or A Roman Holiday, then this is the musical movie to watch.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 116081224271131/k2311a086/8.6.10