Video Game: Hoyle Casino Empire (PC)
  • I know I played it for a couple hours straight one night and, even when I wasn’t playing it, I was trying to figure out a strategy for whatever casino I was working on
  • The problem with this game is the fun only lasts so long
  • But, I have to tell you, that gets boring very fast
  • Again, this isn’t a terrible game and you will definitely have fun playing it for a little while

• by Review Vigilante

A couple weeks ago, I was digging through my computer game collection looking for something to do in the mornings while waiting for my mom to get to the house to watch the kids so I could go to work. After some searching, I ended up coming across the game Hoyle Casino Empire; produced by Sierra. It had been a long time since I played it, so I figured it would be worth giving it another try. Well, I did.

And, two weeks later, I am now searching for a different game to play. To be fair, Hoyle Casino Empire isn’t a terrible game. Basically, you are working in Las Vegas and are asked to run a variety of casinos

that range in themes and sizes.

Each casino has a set of objectives you have to achieve over a set period of time. If you do, you unlock another casino. If you don’t, you are fired.

Adding to the excitement is the fact there are a number of things that can throw a wrench into your plans. You have competing casinos that like sending over their thugs. You have a health inspector that likes shutting down any food services you provide and, depending on the level, you might have to contend with paying share holders money each month or your guests being upset with a prank fire alarm.

In fact, when you start playing the game, it does become somewhat ...

• addictive. I know I played it for a couple hours straight one night and, even when I wasn’t playing it, I was trying to figure out a strategy for whatever casino I was working on. The problem with this game is the fun only lasts so long.

The different casino levels seem hard at first and you might even have one or two that you can’t beat right away. But, once you figure out the various cameras you can use and take advantage of those (especially the one that shows the appeal of your games), it’s not that hard to get through those levels. I beat the last three casinos in no time at all.

Granted, just because you beat

the game doesn’t mean you have to stop playing. You can continue to manage any of the casinos you conquer; either in Empire mode or in Sandbox mode. But, I have to tell you, that gets boring very fast; mostly because you don’t have any other casinos competing against you any more.

In fact, the only reason I leave any casinos up and running is just so I can play cards in one of the poker rooms. But, there are plenty of games that allow me to do that so that isn’t much of an incentive. Again, this isn’t a terrible game and you will definitely have fun playing it for a little while.

I just wish the game offered something more so I didn’t get bored with it so fast.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 283081220661231/k2311a083/8.3.10