McDonald’s restaurant at Szeroka Street in Torun, Poland  » Restaurants  »
1.5
Poland, Torun, Szeroka Street 21
  • It’s probably the largest McDonalds in town, in fact – unfortunately, it’s not the best of them at all
  • I definitely don’t recommend this restaurant
  • I enjoy McDonald’s every once in a while, but I’ve yet to visit one which I would like less than this one

• by Rachel Evans

McDonald’s at Szeroka 21 in Torun, Poland, occupies a spot in the very heart of the city, in the Old Town at its longest and widest street. Living near the Old Town, I’ve visited the spot a number of times, whenever I was hit with a craving for a McFlurry, chickenburger or a milkshake. It’s a large establishment, with two floors, enough space to accommodate two groups of schoolchildren on a trip (which it often needs to accommodate) and it regular customers as well. It’s probably the largest McDonalds in town, in fact – unfortunately, it’s not the best of them at all.

I’ve had a number of negative experiences with this particular restaurant. Admittedly, the seats are very comfortable, the décor is

pleasanter than in most McDonald’s restaurants, and the air conditioning is always welcome – but all these are accompanied by far more grave shortcomings.

First of all, the restaurant has an unpleasant tendency to lack precisely the stuff I want at the moment. Their ice cream machines break down, their shakes come with too little ice, or they’re under construction and closed up overall. Most frustrating, however, is that due to understaffing, the queues in which one waits to find out about there being no ice-cream anyway, are long enough to take fifteen minutes of one’s time. Moreover, the layout of the restaurant means that queues might well get jumped by people supposedly standing in another line, and the staff don’t react to ...

• the queue jumpers at all. All this is enough to get me too angry to stomach food. Moreover, it has also happened to me at least once that the order I placed was done wrong – I requested no sauce in my sandwich and got it anyway. As though waiting for the food for much longer than one might expect at a supposedly fast food wasn’t enough, they don’t even get the order right!

Another thing that deserves mentioning is the toilet system. Unlike any other McDonald’s restaurant I’ve seen, most of which either offer free toilet or at least the toilet is free upon showing a receipt from the bar, this restaurant offers ‘payback’ – in other words, one has to pay

2 zlotys to use the utilities and can afterwards get a refund while buying something, upon showing the printout from the toilet. It’s not only embarrassing and complicated, it’s also counter-intuitive, since I tend to need the bathroom after consuming 0,5 litre of coke and not before. This system makes me wary of ordering taller drinks at the restaurant, lest I require the bathroom after my meal and spend an additional 2 zlotys. Finally, placing the toilet on the second floor is simply inconsiderate of any customers with disabilities and makes me think less of the place.

I definitely don’t recommend this restaurant. I enjoy McDonald’s every once in a while, but I’ve yet to visit one which I would like less than this one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 73081219120931/k2311a083/8.3.10