Sharp R-230KW Microwave
2.0
  • The main reason why we purchased the Sharp R-230KW microwave is because it was rated as the best countertop microwave (by ConsumerSerach

• by Snowflake

The main reason why we purchased the Sharp R-230KW microwave is because it was rated as the best countertop microwave (by ConsumerSerach.com). It’s 0.8 cubic feet and 800 watts which is what we were looking for. It’s slightly smaller than our old Emerson microwave, but it heats food twice as fast. The buttons are a little smaller which will take some time to get used to, but they are somewhat easy to push.

I do not like the start button and wish it were different. The start button is located in the middle on the right side among all the other buttons. This makes it harder to quickly find the button. Every time I to go to turn on the microwave it takes a little longer to look, locate, and then push the power level and start buttons. The power button is also in the middle, but on the left side. It would have been

better to design the start button so it’s bigger and/or located at the very top or bottom of the button area. Moving the power level button would also improve this microwave.

The microwave’s turntable cooks and reheats food evenly and thoroughly every time. In our old microwave it took 15 to 20 minutes to bake potatoes. In the Sharp R-230KW it only takes 5 to 10 minutes for potatoes to get done (actual time depends on size of potatoes). The instant oatmeal I have for breakfast is done in just under one minute which is great when I’m really hungry. The ‘soften’ button is great for softening ice cream and warming up syrup is also easy.

We have only had this microwave for a week, and already there is one thing I hate about it. The time display was very poorly designed. Our old microwave had a green light on the display which made it ...

• very easy to see when standing far away. The time display on the Sharp R-230KW is very hard to see. If you are not standing directly in front of the microwave within a couple feet, then you cannot see the time display! This makes it very inconvenient when using the microwave especially when busy preparing other food for a meal. We used to look at the time on our old microwave throughout the day and really miss not knowing what time it is. From across the kitchen and dining room we used to be able to see the time (with the old microwave). Now we have to either buy a kitchen clock or continue to pull cell phones out of pockets to ensure we will not be late when getting ready to go somewhere. Sharp did a horrible job when designing the difficult-to-see time display.

The first few days the microwave was very hard to

open. When opening the door, I had to hold onto the microwave otherwise the entire unit would slide backwards. After using it for a few days the door loosened up and became easy to open.

I would only suggest buying the Sharp R-230KW microwave if you do not mind having a time display that you cannot see very well. If this feature is important to you, then either find a different model or different brand to get a microwave that you will be happy owning for several years. It’s a little hard to rate this microwave because it heats very well, but the poorly designed time display makes me wish I never would have purchased this model. I also do not like how the power level and start buttons blend in with all the other buttons. Overall I give this microwave a lower than average rating due to these two features not being designed very well.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 533081219000931/k2311a083/8.3.10