The Man in the Iron Mask Movie (1998)  » Movies  »
  • When I think about the Three Musketeers, I always remember the movie “The Man in the Iron Mask”
  • I have enjoyed this movie and I am sure that most people and especially the younger ones will continue to enjoy this as I did

• by dzzy21rn

When I think about the Three Musketeers, I always remember the movie “The Man in the Iron Mask”. This stars Leonardo DiCaprio(King Louis XIV / Philippe), Jeremy Irons(Aramis), John Malkovich (Athos), Gérard Depardieu (Porthos) and Gabriel Byrne ( D’Artagnan).

This movie portrays the true story of the King of France, King Louis XIV. It was 1638 when Queen Anne of France gives birth to twin boys. One of them becomes King Louis XIV, the other one locked up in the dungeon with the Iron Mask. King Louis XIV had a very lavish

lifestyle and during the time of his ruling, people are forced to suffer hunger and poverty while he basks in his glorious and luxurious life through his parties and costs of war. He does not know that he had a brother who is locked up for 6 years, with an iron mask covering his face so that no one can identify him as someone who looks so much like the King.

This was a story based on Alexander Dumas’ The Three Musketeers, 20 years after or so. I have made some research regarding ...

• the real story of the Man in the Iron Mask, about his true identity, etc, but no amount of data confirms that the real man behind the mask was a twin brother of the King.

Anyways, the movie was nicely done, and it was star-studded. Everyone gave a good performance. DiCaprio played the two opposing roles of the spoiled King and the humble Philippe (the man in the mask). He was able to portray two opposing roles greatly. The three musketeers wanted to find a way to stop the King from continuing this

kind of lifestyle and has proposed plans to let the real King out in the persona of Philippe to be able to rule France in a good, just way.

The effects, setting, cinematography and the script were good enough to bring us back to the 1600s. The movie was entertaining and it gave a good vs evil ending that most audiences would love to see. I have enjoyed this movie and I am sure that most people and especially the younger ones will continue to enjoy this as I did. This was very well made.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111081217581231/k2311a081/8.1.10