Romeo and Juliet Movie (1996)  » Movies  »
  • If I wanted to read Shakespeare, I would, but if given the chance to watch Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet in the big screen, I would certainly choose that instead
  • I loved this movie and if anyone wants to see a modern day Romeo and Juliet, they should not miss this one

• by dzzy21rn

If I wanted to read Shakespeare, I would, but if given the chance to watch Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet in the big screen, I would certainly choose that instead.

When Romeo and Juliet movie came out in 1996, I really got excited because it stars Leonardo DiCaprio (who is really, really cute by the way) and Claire Danes. This also co-starred John Leguizamo (Tybalt), Harold Perrineau(Mercutio), Pete Postlethwaite (Father Laurence) and Paul Rudd (Dave Paris).

So what is really cool

about this film? This was indeed an adaptation of William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. The dialogues were indeed poetic and by the book, but with a modern twist! The setting is not the old Verona that we know. The setting is the 21st century Verona where rival families Montague and Capulet are at war, but their children Romeo and Juliet fall in love with each other in the midst of the ongoing feud. The daggers and swords ...

• that I have read about in the books are all converted into dagger and sword “brands” of guns and ammunition. What’s surprising is that the movie was able to really capture the setting and the emotion of the book even if it was adapted to be in the modern time.

Leonardo DiCaprio gave a very good performance. He was still very young in this film, a little skinny too, and he really fit Romeo Montague’s role as a

stubbornly in love guy who will do anything just to be able to see and be with Juliet Capulet. Claire Danes played the role of Juliet Capulet, who also gave a stellar performance. I felt all their raw, young emotions as they both cried their hearts out with the ending scene. It was the best scene in the film.

I loved this movie and if anyone wants to see a modern day Romeo and Juliet, they should not miss this one!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111081217561231/k2311a081/8.1.10