Highway Patrol: Hostage Family Copter TV Show  » TV  »
  • I enjoyed all three, though I would necessarily state that any of them were great shakes
  • This is, in fact, one of the best uses of Mathews in this regard

• by Orrymain

The sixth entry for the third season of Highway Patrol, which stars Broderick Crawford as Chief Dan Mathews, was called Hostage Family Copter. Yes, it’s another show that features the helicopter. This crime drama loved showcasing this mode of transportation, which as we all know today can be valuable in apprehending the bad guys.

Actually, I do enjoy watching the action sequences with the helicopter. They’re more exciting than a standard car or foot chase, especially the way they’re

done on this vintage series. There’s a new pilot this season, though, as Bob Gilbreath has replaced Roy Bourgeois in this show and the last couple that I’ve noticed. I always liked watching Roy maneuver inside the copter, something we don’t really get to see a lot of Bob the pilot.

The basic plot here is that a man fleeing from the police comes upon a family and forces them to be his hostages. Bing Russell does a really ...

• good job as the murderer on the run, Toby Larkin. He was spot on with his ruthlessness. The Monroe family was portrayed by Craig Duncan, Nikki Davidson, and Suzan Stone. I enjoyed all three, though I would necessarily state that any of them were great shakes. They entertained and made a convincing looking family.

I do think that the resolution was handled very nicely, when Mathews moves in unbeknownst to Larkin. This is, in fact, one of

the best uses of Mathews in this regard. I say that because Crawford just can’t move like he should and sometimes that makes for hokey takedowns.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. There was action for the thrill seekers and there was some heart for those of us who like a bit of emotion served up with the drama. Toss in the helicopter for the fun of it, and it made for a good half hour of TV watching.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101081217231231/k2311a081/8.1.10