Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts  » Games  »
  • As someone that grew up playing Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on the Nintendo 64, I have to say that playing Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts on the Xbox 360 was a pretty jarring experience
  • This game encourages both creativity and problem-solving skills
  • It's definitely a nice looking game though
  • In my opinion, that limited the size, scope and variety that the game had to offer

• by CirclingCanvas

As someone that grew up playing Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on the Nintendo 64, I have to say that playing Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts on the Xbox 360 was a pretty jarring experience. The reason it was jarring is because apparently, the developers behind this game apparently decided to take the series in an entirely new direction. I personally didn’t think that the series needed a new direction as both Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie took the concepts of platforming and world exploration, mixed in puzzle elements and a wide-variety of generally unique and creative challenges, and gave the characters of Banjo and Kazooie an expansive and varied number of moves and incorporated all that, and more, into two games that offer quite a lot in terms of fun and challenge. This game is something entirely different.

Most of the game is spent building vehicles that are then used to accomplish tasks. The concept of finding and earning parts and building vehicles that burn rubber, fly or go underwater and can blow up things is actually pretty fun. The different kinds of vehicles that I can build is fairly extensive and allows for freedom of customization and personal expression. A vehicle that I design may be quite unlike what others build, but what’s nice is, as long as the vehicle I build can tackle the landscape ahead, be it water, land or sky and do so quick enough while having the necessary attachments or parts

to rescue a character, haul something from one point to another or blow something to smithereens, among other tasks, I can build my vehicle to look and behave any way that I want. This game encourages both creativity and problem-solving skills. The missions don’t always state exactly what I’m going to need to do, so I had to stop and think what kind of vehicle I would need to build to accomplish a certain mission. It’s challenging at times and satisfying too once I figure out I need to build a vehicle that’s sturdier or lighter or is faster or has a certain ability.

I do wish though that the game offered more variety in terms of missions. It seemed like more often than not, I was racing a character or the clock, I was battling some enemy or moving something from one point to another. I feel that the aforementioned Banjo-Kazooie games gave me more variation and unique tasks to accomplish, ranging from navigating a hazardous maze while watching the clock, to using precision aiming to shoot something, to solving a puzzle, in addition to boss battles, racing characters and carrying something from one point to another point. In Banjo-Tooie, the worlds were interconnected and I had to a lot of times backtrack between worlds and figure out how solving one problem in one world would positively or negatively effect something in another world or bring characters or objects from one world to another or use the train that ran throughout almost every level to haul stuff from one world to the next. I loved that because it forced me to think, “hey, I could use this to solve a problem in that one world”. It was really complex and the worlds were huge and it really made the gameplay experience more satisfying because of how everything was connected, which made the game feel even more real and intricate, where as with this game, the missions are far simpler, shorter and the worlds, smaller.

The game is still challenging and fun though, in part because of the characters and the humor, which is sometimes a bit suggestive. I particularly loved that Gruntilda once again spoke in rhymes as that just makes her character all the more entertaining and fun to take on. Some parts of the game “feel” like they are a part of the Banjo-Kazooie series, like the characters, humor, whimsical music and familiar sounds that have been present since the first game, and that’s all a good thing. The whole building vehicles concept though doesn’t quite feel like it’s something that belongs in a Banjo-Kazooie game. If you take out Banjo, Kazooie, Gruntilda and some other familiar faces, the game could have easily stared a new cast of characters or another way of looking at it is the developers just dropped the Banjo-Kazooie characters into this game instead of ...

• Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
      coming up with new characters. It just doesn’t completely “feel” like a Banjo-Kazooie game because it’s so different from the previous games in the series.

Different isn’t necessarily bad. Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is still a fun game to play, especially the multiplayer mode where I can take on other players online and off and pit my vehicle design against theirs. Matches can get pretty intense, and I never quite know what kind of vehicle I’m going to be going up against, so there’s a definite element of mystery and degree of challenge because I need to adjust my play style depending on what vehicle creation I’m going up against. As I mentioned, the game can be challenging as some missions require me to utilize several different vehicle parts in order to finish it. The game isn’t quite as hard as previous Banjo-Kazooie games, but difficulty isn’t everything. The orchestrated music is nice, especially the orchestrated takes on previous Banjo-Kazooie world themes. The visuals are impressive, although the game kind of seemed less cartoony than the previous games in the way some of the characters are designed. It’s definitely a nice looking game though.

While I didn’t enjoy this game as much as the previous Banjo-Kazooie games, I still found it fun to play. At times, I felt real creative designing my own vehicles and it was fun testing them out. The game challenged me to design my vehicles wisely and pushed me

to figure out what I needed to add, modify or delete from my vehicle in order to conquer the task ahead of me. Ultimately though, the game is shorter than Banjo-Tooie, with fewer worlds and fewer objectives, and the pace of the game can often be off-set by messages popping up and loading jigsaw screens. Multiplayer is a definite plus and the replay value is pretty high when it comes to designing vehicles and testing them out against other players. The single-player game can get tedious though due the missions being real similar and a lot of times unsatisfying short. In some ways, the design a vehicle concept expands the gameplay and other ways limits it because there’s only so much you can do in using a vehicle to accomplish a mission. Where as pretty much almost every mission in Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie felt fresh and unique, that’s a feeling I didn’t get with this game and I would have preferred that the vehicle concept simply be something that’s added to a platform, exploration and puzzle-based game like the previous Banjo-Kazooie games are to enhance gameplay at certain points rather than build a whole game around the vehicle concept. In my opinion, that limited the size, scope and variety that the game had to offer. Overall, I feel the game is still deserving of a “6″ rating as it’s a slightly above average game in my opinion. Still not as good as the previous Banjo-Kazooie games though.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2830071216080131/k2311a0730/7.30.10