The Incredible Mr. Limpet - Weekend at Weeki Wachee featurette  » Movies  »
  • I really enjoyed the Weekend at Weeki Wachee featurette which had to deal with the premier weekend for the Warner Brothers' film, The Incredible Mr
  • I love going behind the scenes, both to see how a production was made and to enjoy special happenings about it, such as this short that deals with the celebrities and their participation in this weekend
  • I like the old style the best, in part because it gives us fun footage like what we get to see here

• by Orrymain

I really enjoyed the Weekend at Weeki Wachee featurette which had to deal with the premier weekend for the Warner Brothers’ film, The Incredible Mr. Limpet. These type of movie shorts are fun for me. I love going behind the scenes, both to see how a production was made and to enjoy special happenings about it, such as this short that deals with the celebrities and their participation in this weekend.

The funny thing for me is that I’d never heard of Weeki Wachee Springs before. As it turns out, it’s in Central

Florida, and it still is an attraction for visitors today. In fact, the mermaids that are such a part of this featurette still are the main thing there. What tickled me is that the weekend I was researching this, they were actually having a reunion weekend for the original mermaids. I thought that was so cool. Some of the ones featured here could have been in this reunion show.

At any rate, I enjoyed watching this premier weekend celebration. They had 250 press members in Florida to see the first underwater ...

• movie premier at this unique theater. It began actually with Don Knotts returning from a fishing trip. I liked the shots of some underwater fish they showed.

I liked the arrival of the celebrities, such as Knotts and Elizabeth MacRae, who plays Ladyfish. I felt for MacRae, though, who in the narration is essentially referred to as “and others” while Knotts and Carole Cook took name billing. This was after the Greyhound buses arrived with the bulk of the cast and press.

It was fun to see the Weeki Wachee mermaids greeting the

cast and press on a wet day, but even better was the coverage of the people on the Congo Belle Jungle Cruise. There were some great wildlife shots as well as ocean shots since the Congo Belle was a glass bottom boat.

All in all, this featurette is a representation of days gone by, when studios really went to town to push their films. It’s not as much like the press junkets of today. I like the old style the best, in part because it gives us fun footage like what we get to see here.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1130071215221231/k2311a0730/7.30.10