Orchestra United: Episode 1 TV Show  » TV  »
  • It's a natural temptation to always want to go with the best, but that's not the emotion behind the concept for the program

• by Orrymain

James Lowe, successful British conductor, wants to draw young people into the world of the orchestra and classical music. To do so, he’ll form a band of 75 kids from the greater Manchester area and prep them for a performance at a famous hall called Bridgewater. This is the core of Orchestra United, a new British series. This first episode gave the setup and took us through

the auditions.

This show to me is essentially the instrumental version of The Choir with Gareth Malone. The concept is the same and the idea of having a big performance as the culmination of the group is the same as well. What’s different for me in this opening hour is that we are having a better chance to meet the students and sometimes their parents. It allows us ...

• to connect with them.

I loved getting to know some of the kids, seeing their home life, and meeting their parents. It was great to see the different backgrounds involved.

Another thing I liked was the heart that Lowe showed in selecting the orchestra members. It’s a natural temptation to always want to go with the best, but that’s not the emotion behind the concept for the program. I

liked that kids who played the cornet and accordion were brought on board, even though their instruments really aren’t for the orchestra.

This show looks like a winner to be. It seems to be taking more time to let us become involved in the process instead of little clips like we got in The Choir. I’m hopeful that this trend will continue. This show was a good start.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1030071214811131/k2311a0730/7.30.10