Iolani Palace in Honolulu Hawaii  » Travel  »
Iolani Palace 364 South King Street Honolulu, Hawaii
  • I don’t recommend visiting the palace if you have young children though
  • Although that was neat, it only took about 20-30 minutes and I did not feel like I got the whole experience of being inside of such a beautiful and historical place
  • The most interesting story to me was of her imprisonment in her own palace

• by Jessica Ward

Iolani Palace was the residence of Hawaii’s monarchy, Queen Lili’uokalani. The palace is absolutely gorgeous inside and out. It has been fully restored, and even updated with modern amenities (like plumbing and electricity).

The palace is rich with history and Hawaiian culture! I don’t recommend visiting the palace if you have young children though. The palace does not allow children under five on the tours.

When I took my daughter, they

only allowed us to view the basement galleries which basically consisted of the royal jewels. Although that was neat, it only took about 20-30 minutes and I did not feel like I got the whole experience of being inside of such a beautiful and historical place.

Also, though there are signs that give the information on what you are looking at, it is not an educational tour – so you really miss out on the ...

• history of the palace.

If you do visit the palace, you are given the choice between a self-guided tour and a guided tour.

I took the self-guided tour so that I could go at my own pace. You are given audio devices so that you still get the educational experience.

It took about an hour and a half. The rooms were so beautiful and were decorated in the way in which they

would have been when Queen Lili’uokalani ruled.

The most interesting story to me was of her imprisonment in her own palace. With both tour options, you still get to view the basement galleries with the crown and jewels.

If you get the chance, you may want to visit the palace on a day when additional activities are going on. There are concerts every week at the palace and, sometimes, there are cultural demonstrations.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3830071213951031/k2311a0730/7.30.10