Palais Grand Ducal (Grand Ducal Palace), Luxembourg  » Travel  »
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
  • When we had lunch at the Palais de Chine restaurant which was just beside the Grand Ducal Palace last Sunday, I decided to get tickets
  • I paid a total of € 21 for 4 people for a guided tour of the Palace
  • I like this tour because it is a short one – about half an hour

• by bethbarl

I have been meaning to visit this Palace since ages but never got the chance because for the past four summers, I have not been in the country. When we had lunch at the Palais de Chine restaurant which was just beside the Grand Ducal Palace last Sunday, I decided to get tickets. Bookings can be done in advance at the City Tourist Office at the Place Guillaume II. Each adult ticket costs € 7 while kids pay half. I paid a total of € 21 for 4 people for a guided tour of the Palace. For a change, I opted for the English tour although there are a lot of choices such as French, German, Luxembourgish (the 3 official languages of this tiny nation) and Dutch.

When the Grand Duke’s family is away for the holidays (the whole of July), the Palace is open to the public (at least the ground floor and the first floor which is a working place for the

Royal Family). The Palace serves as an office for the present Grand Duke, Henri and it is also connected directly to the Parliament or the Chamber of Deputies. We were told by our guide that the 2nd floor consists of private rooms for the family although they do not live there (in the Colmar-Berg Chateau which is some 20 kilometers from the Palace).

I like this tour because it is a short one – about half an hour. I cannot withstand long ones anymore. More importantly, this one gives a brief but concise history of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg - how it struggled to remain independent and how it is influenced by countries trying to dominate it. For me, it is important that my kids learn their country’s history and I personally think that touring the palace is a good way to do it.

The tour started at the Ammunition Room which is replete with weapons (mostly hunting guns) and specially made guns ...

• given to noblemen. The group then moves on to the royal staircase which is adorned by huge Siberian malachite vases and later, the Kings’ rooms. Here, one could follow the history of Luxembourg through its rulers – William I-IV (Guillaume in French) of Holland, Adolphe (Germany), Marie-Adelaide, Charlotte, Jean (the father of the current Duke). I can see how much this tiny country fought foreign domination and even if it lost a big part of its territory to Belgium (the province of Luxembourg), Prussia (Germany) and France, it survived and remains independent. This is clearly seen in the architectural influence in the palace from the Hispano-Moorish edifice to the Baroque style of the interior rooms.

I also found it remarkable that the first time women ever voted here was in 1919– when the whole country decided through a referendum whether to keep the monarchy or change into a republican style of government. Obviously, the majority (84%) was for the former as to this day, it

remains the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

I don’t find the Palace overwhelming and seems very modest. If anything, it has no treasures to speak of since it never had colonies nor was it colonized. The few adornments visible to the public (at least) were tapestries from Napoleon (shown in the dining room as gifts when Napoleon’s General apparently robbed all the silverware in the Palace and he himself had to eat from wooden bowls while visiting), the Malachite vases, the pipe box Churchill used when he was visiting the Palace and a few French square chairs (apparently the last auction of such a chair fetched €1.8 million). For this, I do not feel guilty that other countries were plundered and I could thoroughly enjoy the tour in peace.

All in all, this is a highly recommended tour: it is affordable, well-organized, short but comprehensive. I would not hesitate to do another tour if for some reason I forget what the Palace represents – the constitutional monarchy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3829071213020431/k2311a0729/7.29.10