Leave Your Sleep by Natalie Merchant  » Music  »
  • I enjoyed her warm vocals, which though it is a little cliche at some point, it is nevertheless memorable
  • Natalie's album cover does not look attractive to me, since it is merely a black-and-white picture of her, and if you want me to be frank, Natalie is not one of the best-looking female singer around, so it is not easy for an average face like her to capture an ordinary buyer's attention
  • However, those who had decided to buy her album will not regret
  • I think I will listen to this album again and again for the next few months to come

• by shinl

This Album from Natalie Merchant had exceeded my expectations - which is not that tough, truth to be told; since Natalie Merchant had been very low-profile for a very long time, and I didn’t expect much from her.

Having said that, whenever a person said that something exceeded their expectation, it is still usually seen as a compliment. Therefore, I am still complimenting on this album.

Natalie Merchant had

combined many elements of music together in this album, and the end result is quite pleasing on the listener’s ears. I enjoyed her warm vocals, which though it is a little cliche at some point, it is nevertheless memorable.

Each piece of music leads the listener to a different world of imagination.

The number, It Makes A Change is a must listen. For the Chinese listeners (like me!), you will be surprised to hear the familiar sounds of erhu and pipa in her songs. To some, it might be odd to hear sounds of erhu and pipa in Natalie Merchant’s songs, but Ms Merchant had managed to make it sound nice instead of sounding weird. It is a harmonious combination that turn out to be quite catchy. It is quite easy to get addicted to it.

Some of my ...

• Leave Your Sleep by Natalie Merchant
      favorite songs from this album are The Dancing Bear and The Man In The Wilderness. The titles had grasp my attention first, and the music did not fail to keep my attention.

Natalie’s album cover does not look attractive to me, since it is merely a black-and-white picture of her, and if you want me to be frank, Natalie is not one of the best-looking female singer around, so it

is not easy for an average face like her to capture an ordinary buyer’s attention. However, those who had decided to buy her album will not regret.

Overall I’m quite satisfied with this album. It is artistic, nicely done but not overdone, if you understand what I mean. I think I will listen to this album again and again for the next few months to come… until some nicer music come along.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1429071212710331/k2311a0729/7.29.10