Jade Garden Chinese Restaurant  » Restaurants  »
1139 5th St SW Charlottesville, VA 22902
  • I continue to order food from a place if I have tried it once and have enjoyed it at all
  • Aside from the fact that sesame chicken is delicious, I figured that with such a common Chinese American dish, restaurants would have a hard time of getting the dish wrong
  • I thought to my self, it could taste horrible and I will have wasted my money
  • If any thing, I think it added to the experience of eating Chinese delivery food
  • It was basically lo mein noodles with chinks of sour peanut butter, so I would avoid this dish

• by kirbystar7

I remember as a college student how frequently I ordered Chinese food to be delivered to me as I studied diligently for my final exams. I am a person of habit. I continue to order food from a place if I have tried it once and have enjoyed it at all. I feel that this keeps me safe from wasting my money on places that will not serve me good food. At the same time, it kept me from trying other places and potentially finding a better place to eat from.

It was not until one of my friends literally ordered for me from another restaurant that I had the chance to try a new Chinese restaurant’s food delivery. My friend had been trying to convince me for months that the place she ordered her Chinese food during exam time was better than the place I had been ordering from, Asian Express. She said the food was better quality, the portions were larger, and the food was just better over all. When she came over to my apartment to study one night before a big

exam, we decided that we would order Chinese food for the night as sustenance.

I knew where I wanted to order my food from, and she knew where she wanted to order her food from, but we thought it would be silly to have two different places deliver Chinese food to the same apartment. After some struggling and contesting, I gave up and she ordered my food for me from Jade Garden. I always eat the same dish: sesame chicken and fried rice, so even though I was changing the place of my food order, I would be keeping every thing else the same. Aside from the fact that sesame chicken is delicious, I figured that with such a common Chinese American dish, restaurants would have a hard time of getting the dish wrong.

I was not really anticipating my meal. I was hungry but annoyed that I would have to spend money at a restaurant I had never eaten at. I thought to my self, it could taste horrible and I will have wasted my money. By the time the food arrived, I forgot ...

• my irritation and was ready to eat.

My friend pulled out the single tray that contained both the meat and the rice and it was huge. I was given so much chicken that I knew there was no way I was going to finish all of my food that night even though I was starving. I could not argue with my friend, the portions were huge. The fried rice was not what I would call ‘empty.

’ It came with chunks of fried pork, which I think made the rice special and able to stand on its own. It was also very yellow. I did not mind this. If any thing, I think it added to the experience of eating Chinese delivery food.

The rice was very delicious and I could have eaten it with out the chicken. The sesame chicken, how ever, was amazing. The breading was crispy and just right. The dish did not rely on the sesame seeds to add crunch to the meal.

The sauce was tangy and just spicy enough. I always think that if I am given more chicken meat,

the quality of the dish is not always good, but in Jade Garden’s case, the sesame chicken was absolutely delicious. I eat my meal very satisfyingly with a slight embarrassed feeling from having denied my friend’s suggestions. When I was full, there was enough food left for what could have been another big meal or two more smaller meals.

For the price that I paid for the meal, which was reasonable as one meal but turned out to be more like three, I feel that Jade Garden was a good investment. I never told my friend that I continued to order from Jade Garden long in to my last semester at school because I felt like it would boost her ego too much. Over time I decided to try some of Jade Garden’s other dishes. I tried their pan fried dumplings, which were not bad, but I felt like the wrapping fell off too easily when I bit in to the dumpling.

I tried their sesame noodle, which was horrible. It was basically lo mein noodles with chinks of sour peanut butter, so I would avoid this dish.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 728071211841231/k2311a0728/7.28.10