Movie: Coraline (2009)  » Movies  »
2.5
  • To tell you frankly, I found the first half of the movie boring

• by Shuyi

I had a chance to watch Coraline a few days ago. I have always been enthusiastic about this movie since last year. Being a fan of Tim Burton’s films, I certainly had high hopes for movies with a similar theme. Coraline had a similar aura; dark, mysterious and enigmatic. Purchasing a DVD would not hurt right?

Eeehh… Wrong!

Coraline Jones and her parents just moved in to Pink Palace, a big pink apartment in Oregon. Completely bored and feeling neglected by her real parents, the cunning and adventurous Coraline decides to go through a small secret door only to find out that there

is an alternate world waiting for her on the other side; the same house old house but completely different parents. Much better, enthusiastic and fun parents! Coraline loved her new dreamy world but when her “other mother” wanted to keep her forever, Coraline decides to go back and save her family.

To tell you frankly, I found the first half of the movie boring. I don’t know, is it because I’m 19 and this movie targets a younger audience? Huh, that being said, I immediately stopped watching after releasing my first yawn. I got forced to watch it back when my sister ...

• literally begged for my presence. She said the music and graphics were scary; she did not want to watch it alone. What the hell is so scary with buttons and dolls?

I must admit, the graphics was good even if the characters looked like clay. The animation team certainly exerted a great deal of effort for it to look like that! Neil Gaiman and Henry Selick must have had great imaginations for creating this movie too, but it certainly does not appeal to everyone. For me, the plot is so typical when seen from afar; the protagonist discovers a great secret, she

loved it, and soon she realized that she made a big mistake and thus she had to go back to when things were right. What’s so big about that? The cast, mainly Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French and Ian McShane, should really be proud of themselves for delivering their pieces quite perfectly.

Coraline isn’t a bad movie. It lost its value when I watched it, but that does not mean that you shouldn’t watch. This movie just didn’t work for me. I’m not going to beg people not to watch it, rather I’d like it if you decide for yourself.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1128071210861131/k2311a0728/7.28.10