Movie: The Lorax  » Movies  »
2.5
  • Since I also have read the book and knew pretty much what the plot was about (it’s basically an environmental story where a creature called a Lorax is trying to stop a factory owner from destroying all the trees), I was definitely interested in seeing the movie version
  • The biggest problem I have with this movie is there is way too much singing in it
  • I know both of my daughters watched it without making a whole lot of noise and that’s saying something

• by Review Vigilante

My wife read my oldest daughter the Dr. Seuss book the Lorax the other day.

The next morning, she remembered she owned the short 1970s movie based on the book and asked if we could watch it with her as an early family movie night.

After some reluctance, we finally caved in and said yes.

environmental story where a creature called a Lorax is trying to stop a factory owner from destroying all the trees), I was definitely interested in seeing the movie version.

But, after seeing it, I honestly think the book is much, much better.

The biggest problem I have with this movie is there is way too much singing in it.

Every couple minutes, the characters are bursting out in song.

The songs aren’t horrible and ...

• there are even a couple that will stick in your head for hours after hearing them.

However, because there are so many songs, there are many parts of the actual plot that are left out of the movie.

Some of them are pretty obvious if you read the book and others a bit more subtle (my daughter, for example, pointed out the Once-ler never dropped down his bucket to collect money like he does

in the book).

I won’t say this is a bad movie because it is still entertaining.

I know both of my daughters watched it without making a whole lot of noise and that’s saying something.

The only thing I will say is the movie is a good summary of the book but, if you have kids, it’s best to buy the book (or get it from the library) so they know exactly what the movie is leaving out.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1126071209380231/k2311a0726/7.26.10