Ni Hao Cafe Chinese Restaurant  » Restaurants  »
2.5
104 14th Street NW Suite 8. Charlottesville, VA 22903
  • When I opened the large and slightly wet from the rain brown paper bag, I noticed that the sesame chicken was kept separate from the fried rice in two round plastic containers
  • With the sesame chicken was on the plainer side and the rice not meddled with much, I felt that the meal was bland and even boring
  • I think if I am in the mood to eat healthy, I will be making some thing at home

• by kirbystar7

By the time I had gotten around to eating Chinese food at Ni Hao Café, I had already eaten at at least three other Chinese delivery places in Charlottesville. By then, I had already picked a favorite that I would always order from, so I was slightly disgruntled when my friends wanted to order in from Ni Hao Café instead during one of over weekend movie nights.

I offered to call the restaurant to ask for or orders (for some reason, no one likes to do the talking on the phone when it comes time to order food) and for the delivery option. Ni Hao asked if I could come pick up the food instead as they did not do delivery. I knew going out to pick up the order was not an option: it was raining cats and dogs out side. Not having delivery was also a strike against them in my book, for a place that I was already irritated with to begin with because it was not my favorite Chinese place. I remembered that they had

delivered for one of my room mates before and pointed this out, arguing that they did have delivery. I do not know if it was my effective assertive tone of voice or the fact that they just did not feel like arguing with me, but they agreed to deliver our food. So as a tip, if you want Ni Hao to deliver, tell them they have done it before!

I always order the same thing at Chinese restaurants: a lunch or dinner special of sesame chicken with fried rice. By night time, the dinner special was already in effect, so I was expecting a bigger portion to match a more expensive meal. I knew that the restaurant was only five minutes from the apartment I was at, so I was again irritated when I was told it was take half an hour for our food to arrive. Imagine my disappointment when we waited for closer to an hour for it to arrive. Despite how displeased and hungry I was, I tipped the deliverer fairly and smothered my urge to complain ...

• to my friends, who seemed oblivious to the ways of Chinese delivery.

When I opened the large and slightly wet from the rain brown paper bag, I noticed that the sesame chicken was kept separate from the fried rice in two round plastic containers. The portions were in deed on the larger side. I forgot my irritation for a bit and was ready to eat. The sesame chicken was covered with many sesame seeds, but on the drier side as far as sauce goes. Usually when I have my sesame chicken, the sauce is tangy and slightly spicy. Ni Hao Café’s sesame chicken was a bit salty but not spicy at all. If any thing, I felt that the chicken tasted a little plain. I felt like I was eating healthier chicken because the pieces of breaded meat were not laden with thick sauce like I’m used to. The crunchiness of the sesame chicken was more so attributed to the sesame seeds than to the breading, which I would have preferred to be crispier.

The fried rice was on

the drier side and was not glistening with oil. When I ate it with the chicken, it was not the same as eating freshly cooked sticky rice or jasmine rice; I could tell that it had been cooked a little extra, but not very much.

Over all, I am not sure how I should feel about my meal. A part of me appreciates that it opposes the stereotype that Chinese delivery food is greasy and that it is most likely better for my health. My friends seemed to enjoy their meal very much, eating with guilt free expressions. Another part of me feels cheated. With the sesame chicken was on the plainer side and the rice not meddled with much, I felt that the meal was bland and even boring. It did not really feel like I had Chinese food that night. I think if I am in the mood to eat healthy, I will be making some thing at home. As for ordering Chinese delivery food in the future, I do not think I will be ordering from Ni Hao Café again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 726071209210131/k2311a0726/7.26.10