Orion L-Shaped Desk With Hutch  » Furniture  »
  • I found the desk to be pretty sturdy and well-built, except for the slide-out table for the keyboard
  • I still consider it a good value since the price was so low, and it serves its purpose for what we wanted it for
  • I would recommend this desk to anyone who is looking for something for a dorm room, apartment, or for the kids

• by mariekay

I purchased this desk when we needed an additional work space for our computer area downstairs. This is a place where the kids also go to do work and school projects. We were running out of space, and I saw this desk online and couldn’t believe it was only $79. I purchased it based on the picture and description, not sure of what I was getting. From the picture, it looked like I was getting a lot of desk for the money, but I certainly didn’t expect it to be the highest quality since it was so inexpensive. That didn’t matter to me since it was going to go in the basement anyway, and I really didn’t want to spend a lot of money on a desk for that area.

I ordered

it, and the desk arrived within a week. I knew that I would have to set aside plenty of time to assemble it, and I was right. It took me about 3 hours to get it all put together. For the most part, the assembly was not difficult, just time-consuming. There were a couple pieces that needed to be touched up since they were scratched, but overall everything was in good shape. I liked that the desk had a pull-out keyboard area, slots for CD’s, a cupboard and another desktop work area. The desk was all black, with a cherry finish on the flat surface. The desk matched well with my other decor, and overall it looked nice in the space.

I found the desk to be pretty sturdy and ...

• well-built, except for the slide-out table for the keyboard. That part was a little flimsy and wobbly, but nothing that fell apart or anything. I liked how the desk was l-shaped as this made it a nice set up for the kids to do projects and homework since there was plenty of work space available. One thing I didn’t like about the desk was that it scratched and dented so easily. You do get what you pay for, as the surface is not a high quality material. If you scratch the surface even slightly, it will leave a mark. The desk is now full of marks and dings from the use we have gotten out of it. Also, make sure you use a coaster if you place a
        drink on the desk or the finish will come right off. We learned this the hard way after placing a can of soda on the desk. I have had to touch up the “Cherry” finish several times already.

To me these are minor problems, and they would bother me if I had spent a lot of money on this desk. But since it was only $79, I can put up with the fact that it is not the highest quality. I still consider it a good value since the price was so low, and it serves its purpose for what we wanted it for. I would recommend this desk to anyone who is looking for something for a dorm room, apartment, or for the kids. It’s not perfect, but overall it’s a good value.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5726071209150131/k2311a0726/7.26.10