Borkum Riff Pipe Tobacco
  • Now, if you haven’t tried it, there is a rich smell of, I believe, cherry brandy, which characterises this tobacco

• by Anglecynn

I tried smoking a pipe when I was younger and didn’t like it. I tried it a bit later when I was a student and carried on for a couple of years. During that time I tried various tobaccos and each had their merits.

The one that I particularly liked was not the cheapest. In fact, it was more expensive than most of the domestic varieties, like Condor. The tobacco in question was a Scandinavian blend that really hit the nail on the head for me.

Why do people smoke pipes? Well, in my case, it was to have something that allowed contemplation and allowed me to carry a
      ‘Church Warden’ about. That’s a pipe with a stem about a foot long, by the way. A bit over the top, perhaps.

Anyway, armed with my Church Warden, I would sit and contemplate the world over a pint, by the window of the pub and watch the world go by. I would savour the unique smell of Borkum Riff, before filling my pipe. Now, if you haven’t tried it, there is a rich smell of, I believe, cherry brandy, which characterises this tobacco. It is a very strong, but aromatic smell which tends to spread about, so the people sitting nearby usually commented on it favourably. Interestingly, although ...

• I am talking about some years ago, even when I lit up, the pipe smoke was a soft, sweet-smelling one that didn’t drive people away in protest.

This is the quality of Borkum Riff. I know that tobacco is bad for you. There’s no getting away from it. However, it has its adherents and there are times when it is a pleasure to puff at an old pipe and think. When you do, it is nice to smoke something that your neighbours don’t object to and Borkum Riff meets that requirement.

Even as a person who eventually gave up my pipe, I still remember that this was the mildest pipe tobacco I smoked. It left a pleasant odour and one that still smelled of cherry brandy. It didn’t make my mouth taste like the bottom of a parrot’s cage, as so many others did. It lasted a long time and didn’t end up becoming foul as it burned itself out. All told, of the tobacco that is still on the market, if you want to have a pleasant puff at your pipe and not to offend your neighbours (well, some always will be offended) then you could do a lot worse than to try this. It may be more expensive, but it lasts longer than other, cheaper varieties.

pusilla ballsworthy says :

what is the most expensive pipe tobacco?

Anglecynn says :

Sorry. I have no idea. I haven`t bought any for a long time

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2726071208411231/k2311a0726/7.26.10