The Ray Bradbury Theater: The Utterly Perfect Murder TV Show
  • That's what I like about this tale I think

• by Orrymain

Airing in February 1992, The Ray Bradbury Theater: The Utterly Perfect Murder was oddly intriguing and even compelling, which disturbs me a little. The show’s main star was Richard Kiley, who normally isn’t someone who captures my interest. That said, I have to admit that there was something about this half-hour story that kept me glued to the screen. It was a quiet piece, but it just kept me

hooked. I watched it all without the desire to multi-task even. This really surprised me.

In The Ray Bradbury Theater: The Utterly Perfect Murder, Kiley played a man named Doug who packs up an unusual small box of items and tells his wife he’s going to Chicago.

We see a lot of flashbacks of Doug’s childhood. Apparently, he was bullied by a boy named Ralph and Ralph’s buddies. We see ...

• several examples of this, including a line about Ralph telling Doug to come see him when he’s old and gray, or something to that affect.

Essentially, that’s what happens. Decades later, Doug has really never overcome the results of having been a bullied boy. Ralph’s attacks live within him. In a way, it’s sad that he was never able to let go.

So, Doug goes to Ralph’s home. I really

don’t want to spoil what happens, but it’s unexpected in more ways than one. That’s what I like about this tale I think. It doesn’t really go where you think it’s going to. There are surprises at the end.

I do wish more was explained about the box of items that Doug took with him. That’s really my only complaint. This was one of the better episodes of this series.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1025071206141131/k2311a0725/7.25.10