Nikon D90 DSLR Camera  » Cameras  »
  • It was my first experience at trying out an advanced digital camera and therefore required some serious knowledge about photography
  • I love that there are accessible controls at the upper panel of the camera, even a small basic lcd screen that displays the more intricate attributes that can be readily changed
  • As with my personal pocket camera, I like to toggle the auto mode most of the time so I can shoot photos fluidly without changing some settings
  • I really love this capability of the camera because the raw shots appear almost professional-like without sacrificing the vividness of the colors set in its foreground, and most of all, the autofocus delivers just a well calculated amount of sharpness to the subject, which serves as the focal point of the photograph, a visual emphasis I haven’t seen in other devices
  • So if you think you’re ready to upgrade to a studio-style camera, I definitely recommend this DSLR for both professionals and camera junkies

• by jhunie

Once upon a time, I was tasked to find a good family camera. I ended up splurging on a DSLR. It was my first experience at trying out an advanced digital camera and therefore required some serious knowledge about photography. The booming trend in DSLRs was a major influence for one, but I was also engrossed at taking quality photographs. It was indeed a good time to pursue a newfound hobby and turn it into something artsy. I had a bit of help with my brother in figuring out its functions as well as googling camera tips. Aside from its generous 12 megapixel image size, I was attracted by the prospect of using customizable lenses.

The camera’s matte black exterior has a very solid and professional appeal. Well I admit it was heavy to tote around as I’ve always been keen on using my lightweight point and shoot camera. If you’re not professionally inclined to comprehend certain details regarding photography, you’d be hard pressed to know how the camera can be

operated, but the most difficult part is learning how to adjust the settings. Between the symbols on the device and a manual, I really suggest you read in black and white first before venturing on taking pictures. I love that there are accessible controls at the upper panel of the camera, even a small basic lcd screen that displays the more intricate attributes that can be readily changed. 2 dials make this possible, you can either do quick adjustments by using your index finger at the front or your rear thumb.

As with my personal pocket camera, I like to toggle the auto mode most of the time so I can shoot photos fluidly without changing some settings. Whether amateurs or professional lensmen, I’m sure a lot would empathize about the difficulty of capturing the right moment especially when you’re aimed at shooting a moving subject. For my incompetent skills, the continuous capture speed of 4 frames per second assures that no important split-second moment is missed. I really love this capability of the camera because the raw shots appear almost professional-like without sacrificing the vividness of the colors set in its foreground, and most of all, the autofocus delivers just a well calculated amount of sharpness to the subject, which serves as the focal point of the photograph, a visual emphasis I haven’t seen in other devices. However, sometimes shooting at an automatic, lightning-pace can ensue to a narrow contrast; the autofocus gets confused on several subjects especially if the image projects plenty of busy figures. But nonetheless, you can be your own paparazzi with this gear.

At one of our family trips, we visited a butterfly sanctuary situated atop one of the perfectly shaped hills in Sagbayan Peak, Bohol. It was a partly cloudy afternoon and took some photos under poor lighting. I enabled the device’s macro mode to shoot the fluttering butterflies upfront. The camera was able to produce a couple of amazing photographs. I was particularly awed by the stillness of the pictures despite the rapid flaps of the insect’s wings.

• Nikon D90 DSLR Camera
      That was one particular picture I cannot forget in my history of snapping photos, as if worthy to be splashed in a national geographic spread. But that’s just the least compared to all the printed pictures, invaluable family portraits as well as a fair share of candid funny shots I’ve snapped with this camera. I hate whoring on facebook’s social albums so I’d much prefer seeing them on printed matter, just make sure to convert them to jpg.

Its proprietary lenses add to the camera’s hefty bulk, but an ingenuous feature is the gadget’s vibration reduction. Near the base of the camera’s front panel [where the lens is attached] is a toggle button to activate such feature. This is quite useful when beset with stability problems such as shooting inside a car or any vehicle, and in my case, to suppress my shaky reflexes. I’ve been battling neuritis in a while and this function resists the jerky fits of my not so nimble hands. It’s also a struggle to get a stabilized picture

due to its weight. I have 1 Gig memory in its SD card slot which makes not a lot of storage but is upgradable.

The shutter is executed in a flash but the rather loud clicking noise is an annoying residue. The sound can be badly startling especially if the cam is set to shoot continuous frames/shots. Another notable thing it exemplifies is video recording. The quality of the recorded audio is way better than the crackling buzzes I occasionally hear with my old digital cam. It shoots HD quality footages as well and upon purchasing I remember the personnel who sold it to me had a high regard of the gadget saying it’s one of the first DSLR to squeeze such major video capturing feature. I don’t get to use much of the cam’s video though.

The camera was reasonably priced at 700 dollars in its heydays but it’s probably cheaper at present. So if you think you’re ready to upgrade to a studio-style camera, I definitely recommend this DSLR for both professionals and camera junkies.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4322071203791031/k2311a0722/7.22.10