Amicalola Falls  » Travel  »
Dawsonville, Georgia
  • My legs ached for two days just going down, I hate to think how much it would hurt to go up and I thought I was in good shape at the time

• by sadonna
      Amicalola Falls state park is located near Dawsonville, Georgia off GA 52. Amicalola Falls is 729 feet high making it the largest falls east of the Mississippi River. There are several different options for hiking and they have a campground you can camp at for a small fee.

What surprised me was you can camp in the national forest for free. There is a road that veers off to the left as you enter the park across from the ranger station.

It goes up a very steep incline for

a mile then if you take the first right and follow it out passed the cabins you will come to a fork in the road with a church. Take the right hand fork and it’s only a couple of miles till you see where the approach trail crosses the road and then there are several established camp sites shortly afterwards that you can camp at for free.

If you go left at the fork you had better have a four wheel drive or be a daring driver. My favorite ...

• spot is beside the river.

You can just pull up and unload. We hiked down to the falls along the road and then took the Amicalola falls trail which is about three miles down to the ranger station.

I’m glad we were going down. There were more than 700 stairs from the top to the bottom of the water falls.

at the time. The trail at the bottom of the falls is paved it takes you around a reflecting pool and runs parallel to the road till it gets to the ranger station.

My kids wanted to play at the playground for a while. Then my husband picked us up to go out for pizza.

It had rained the night before and he could not get a fire started to cook on. This park is extremely beautiful and the waterfall will dazzle you with beauty.

It’s a must see.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381901120170631/k2311a0119/1.19.07