Smashbox Soft Lights Shimmer
  • Standing next to my 18-year-old cousin in the mirror, I noticed a difference in our skins
  • There is more than a ten year difference in our ages and I don’t consider myself TOO old (yet), but there was definitely something gone
  • I hear that people with vegan and raw foods lifestyles retain their youthful glow a little longer but I love food too much to do something that drastic
  • I was more impressed with the product when I used it on my mother
  • I applied some of this powder on her and the transformation was amazing

• by sangwon

Why would anyone buy a cosmetic product that makes you “shimmer”? Is it the ‘70s… has the disco phase come back? However, I recently discovered a possible use for it. Standing next to my 18-year-old cousin in the mirror, I noticed a difference in our skins. Aside from the blemishes and pore sizes, she possessed a youthful glow that was absent from my skin. I never noticed it before because it’s not every day I stand side-by-side with a teenager. There is more than a ten year difference in our ages and I don’t consider myself TOO old (yet), but there was definitely something gone. A certain luminosity, a youthful panache…. call it what you will. I hear that people with vegan and raw foods lifestyles retain their youthful glow a little longer but I love food too much to do something that drastic. Naturally, I turn towards cosmetics.

Smashbox products are

expensive, but they have some effective cosmetics. I’ve tried their Photofinish green primer (which I love) and Anti-Shine-Matte (which I thought was a waste of money). I came across their Soft Lights Shimmering Powder, which promised to give skin “a glow from within”. Since I was at a moment of desperation at the time, this catch-phrase was very appealing. I expected the product to give me back what time had taken away – youthful luminous skin that belied my age. A futile and impossible task, you may say, but it’s mid-life moments like this that cosmetic companies depend on for business. Call me an irrational sucker.

It comes in three shades; I chose the Shimmer shade, which is nude. The product was a soft, silky powder that was somewhat pressed. I liked that it didn’t fly all over the place when you open the product or breathe on it. I used a large ...

• blush brush to sweep it upward over my cheekbones. I also used a small brush to apply some under by eyes to create that dewy-eyed look. The effect was subtle and there was a definite shimmer. Close up, it looked like miniscule particles of glitter over my face. But from a moderate distance, there was a delicate glow, a certain luminosity if you will, to my skin. But I emphasize that the effect of subtle; it won’t turn back the hands of time to rebound your skin. However, I was pleased with the difference.

I was more impressed with the product when I used it on my mother. She had completed her final rounds of chemotherapy after her preemptive mastectomy against breast cancer, and she looked absolutely ghastly. Her skin nowhere compared to her inspiration and enthusiasm for life. I applied some of this powder on her and the transformation was amazing! I first

put some base to bring back some color into her complexion. After some light pink blush at her cheekbones, I brushed on the Shimmer powder all over her face. I wish I took some before and after pictures. She looked like she was part of the living again! The “glow within” was so subtle and natural, even my mom was impressed. And the application was simple enough for my mother, the makeup amateur, to apply it on herself. We marched right out to the nearest Sephora to buy her own supply of Smashbox.

Because of what it did for my mother, I would give this product a high rating. For me, the effect was a little too subtle, probably because my skin wasn’t traumatized from medical treatments. But over anyone who has been through an illness and needs a little skin boost, this product delivers what it promises. And it’s just under $30.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3120071200961131/k2311a0720/7.20.10