Heritage Solar Cover for 18′ Round Pools  » Housewares  »
  • Once I got the cover on the pool, however, I found that it was too big
  • I found an easy solution to this problem by simply trimming the cover to fit our pool
  • I would recommend this pool cover to anyone who is looking for a way to quickly heat up the water temperature in their pool

• by mariekay

When we first purchased our pool, we didn’t think we needed a solar cover for it. The pool we have is one that we put up each summer and then take down when summer is over. Putting it up at the beginning of each summer takes only about 30 minutes. What takes the longest is filling it up with that garden hose, that takes about two days. Then, once it’s full, it takes another 3-4 days for the water to be warm enough to swim in. That is if it’s hot and sunny out. If it’s not that warm out, it takes even longer for the water to heat up.

So, this year we decided to get a solar cover for the pool so we could enjoy

it sooner after it was set up. We found this solar cover for about $40 and it said that it would fit an 18’ pool. Our pool is 18’ round so I figured it would be perfect. Once I got the cover on the pool, however, I found that it was too big. The cover hung over the sides of the pool, and it’s actually meant to just float on top of the water, not overlap the sides. I found an easy solution to this problem by simply trimming the cover to fit our pool. It took a couple tries to get it cut to just the right size, but I got it to the point where it fit perfectly.

The cover is made of ...

• a plastic-type material that resembles bubble wrap. It’s fairly easy to handle and put on the pool, especially with two people. We used it right after filling the pool, and the temperature was up to 80 in two days. The was a shorter period of time than we were used to, so we were pleased with it. The ironic thing for us is that this summer has been so hot that since that first week, we haven’t even needed to use the cover. Once the pool warmed up, it stayed warm all summer long due to the hot days and warm nights. Although we don’t need the cover to heat the pool, it does work well to keep bugs and debris out of the pool when
        it’s placed on the pool overnight.

So, although we didn’t get a lot of use out of the cover this summer, we still may use it if it ever cools down enough to where we will need it. Now I just use it occasionally if it’s going to be really windy at night, to prevent having a pool full or leaves in the morning. From what I could tell, it did a good job of warming the pool up to a temperature that was comfortable. I would recommend this pool cover to anyone who is looking for a way to quickly heat up the water temperature in their pool. Just be prepared to trim it to the right size, or purchase a smaller cover since this one is bigger than it says.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5319071199400331/k2311a0719/7.19.10