Second Harvest Mobile Food Pantry
Tower Parking Lot, Beaver Dam, WI 53916
  • But, the cost of living unfortunately has risen to the point my paychecks aren’t keeping up
  • So, despite my pride trying to get the best of me, I ended up having to participate in the monthly Second Harvest Mobile Food Pantry this past weekend
  • If you are looking for a charity to support, this is one I would recommend

• by Review Vigilante

I work full time and make decent money. But, the cost of living unfortunately has risen to the point my paychecks aren’t keeping up. My wife went back to work recently to help with that. But, she hasn’t gotten a paycheck yet and we were running very low on food and have no money in the bank until Friday.

So, despite my pride trying to get the best of me, I ended up having to participate in the monthly Second Harvest Mobile Food Pantry this past weekend. I don’t want to abuse a charity like that and, as long as I have enough money to do my own grocery shopping, don’t think I will be attending it on a regular basis. But, I can’t say enough good things about this service.

This group apparently comes to Beaver Dam on the second Saturday each month and they are some of the friendliest people

I have ever met. Given what it was, I figured I would be judged. But, instead, they walked us through the registration process and handed out free food without even so much as an evil eye toward us.

A couple other things I liked about this is the fact there wasn’t an income restriction (something that usually hurts me because I technically make too much money when you don’t factor things like doctor bills, insurance, etc. ) and the fact everyone had to provide proof of residency. This second part is important to me because we have quite a few migrant workers up here from Texas during the summer months and, with other events, they don’t hesitate to take advantage.

At first, I had doubts about how much food we would really be getting and even if the free food would be worth standing in line for more than two hours. But, despite ...

• coming a bit late and missing out on a few things (like chocolate milk and a fresh pineapple), we really got quite more than I expected. We got several different packages of salad mixes, canned goods, bread, pinto beans, a giant can of baked beans and, if we would have wanted them, donuts.

There were quite a few people there (probably about 100) and we were at the end of the line. But, despite quite a bit of complaining from the people behind us (especially from one woman who simply would not shut up), I have to say the process went through pretty efficiently. Like I said before, we were standing in line for about two hours.

But, we also got there early. The registration started a little before 10 (it started a bit later than the paper advertised) and we went through that line plus the line for food by about

11. So, from the start time, it was about an hour to get through 100 people.

The fact some chose to be there at 6:30 to be the first in line isn’t Second Harvest’s fault. If I had any complaints about this (and it really is hard to complain about a group that gives out free food), it was probably the location. I can think of a few different places around town that would have had more shade (important both for the people standing in line and keeping the food from spoiling) and would have been safer than standing in a well-used parking lot (we had several cars almost plow into the line).

Overall though, I do think this is a great service. And, once we get more money in our bank, I do intend on re-paying this group with a nice sized donation. If you are looking for a charity to support, this is one I would recommend.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2517071196950431/k2311a0717/7.17.10