Movie: Shutter Island  » Movies  »
  • Psycho thrillers are weird, crazy and scary, but I enjoy them a lot
  • I have seen the trailer and posters and I think there is a cloud of mystery looming behind my head
  • Actually, I found the scenes a bit disturbing, it reminded me of the Chernobyl incident and it sent shivers into my spine

• by Shuyi

It has been a while since I actually watched a psycho thriller. Psycho thrillers are weird, crazy and scary, but I enjoy them a lot! Last week, I finally got my hands on a DVD copy of Shutter Island and I was oozing with curiosity with just what is it all about? I have seen the trailer and posters and I think there is a cloud of mystery looming behind my head. To be honest, I did not expect what I saw.

The plot starts with a US Marshall named Edward Daniels, portrayed by Leonardo DiCaprio, and his assistant Chuck Aule, played by Mark Ruffalo. They were

headed to an isolated island where Ashcliffe Hospital was located. This hospital serves as a home for a number of insane criminals. They were to investigate the disappearance of a notorious criminal named Rachel Solando, who allegedly vanished into thin air within the four walls of her cell.

Mystery and suspense deepen even more when Edward’s dreams of dead people and his deceased wife occasionally haunted him in sleep. Actually, I found the scenes a bit disturbing, it reminded me of the Chernobyl incident and it sent shivers into my spine. Just imagine yourself watching carcasses of women and children, piled like shit on the ground, their skin pale and blue because of the snow, their expressions empty, their eyes dark and beady.

The plot starts to twist when the lead role, Edward, started having migraines and intense hallucinations. It turns out that he himself is slowly becoming one of the patients, something that I expected from the very beginning the film started showing his dreams. I am not going to end the plot here, since it might spoil you. Watch it and you decided.

As for me, I really like the movie. Leonardo is a great actor and so are the other casts such as Ben Kingsley who portrayed Dr. John Crawley.

• Movie: Shutter Island
      The plot isn’t really that great though, it is really very common, especially the part where the twist happens. I just anticipated it the moment I saw those crazy yet beautifully done hallucinations. I appreciate the plot but they could have done something better.

Also, I have to comment on the beautiful and crazy hallucinations! I have to praise the makers of this film for coming up with something that looks like a real piece of praiseworthy art. The way the papers gracefully came down to the floor, the effects that were used, the settings of the hallucinations, they were so wonderfully done, those scenes really

captured the emotion, the feel and the era. It was so wonderful, I liked rewinding to the part where Edward was snuggling his wife and these ashes started falling and the woman started bleeding. It was just so dreamy.

The sounds they used for this movie, sort of scared me. It reminds me so much of the TV series, LOST. It aired a sense of nostalgia into me. Nevertheless, it captured me. It is meant to be a thriller, although, they could have done something more original.

All in all, Shutter Island is a crazy, twisted movie worthy of your eyes attention. I enjoyed every bit of it.

Movie: Shutter Island

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1117071196140331/k2311a0717/7.17.10