Paris on a Budget  » Travel  »
  • Going to Paris has been a lifelong dream and I’m just so glad that I was given this chance to visit this amazing city
  • The combo meal cost me 6 euros, which trimmed my pocket money down to 14
  • Suprisingly, there were no waiting sheds around the streets, which I found quite weird
  • It was a Saturday when I visited Paris and, I suggest you buy a prepaid train ticket a day in advance to free yourself from all the hassle
  • Unfortunately, me and my friends thought we could buy from any train station

• by jetsetter

I’ve been to several countries for the past 4 years or so that I have been traveling for a living. I have to admit that I have succumbed to the charm of this perfect city called Paris. Paris is a hundred times more beautiful than the photos we see on magazines.

Going to Paris has been a lifelong dream and I’m just so glad that I was given this chance to visit this amazing city. The only reason that I was able to come visit is that my company sent me over as a passenger. I was actually on a budget but the charm of this popular city was just too sweet to deny. Being in Paris is like stepping into a postcard.

I was on a 20 euro budget. You can also do it.. You just have to know where the freebie transfers are (from the hotel to the city and back) and a few French words to complete the adventure.

The

shuttle service from Marriott dropped us off at Arc de Triomphe. Our first destination was Champs de Elysees for (window) shopping, which was a good 10-minute walk from the Arc. Along Champs de Elysees, there are quite a few fancy restaurants to choose from, but being the budgeted traveler that I am, I stopped by this resto with a huge bright yellow colored M as a logo (wink, wink). The combo meal cost me 6 euros, which trimmed my pocket money down to 14. With 14 euros on hand, me and my friends walked straight to catch a glimpse of the Eiffel.

The Eiffel tower was amazingly spectacular. Too bad we weren’t able to see it with the lights on. During the spring time, (March to May) the lights start to go on quite late, and since we arrived there a little too early, we took pictures with the natural lights on. The queue to reach the top of the tower was longer ...

• than long. It may take you 2 – 3 hours tops to be able to go up (I’m pretty sure it costs 30 euros) But snaps from all angles below the tower is well worth it for me.

From the Eiffel, it took us quite a long walk going to the Louvre Museum. Pretty exhausted but again, well worth it. It will cost you 10 euros to enter the museum. But if you just to see the inverted pyramid, the entrance is free. They say it’s not allowed to take pictures of the Mona Lisa but if you’re quick and smart, you’ll catch a snap of her. My friends have a picture of it. Just turn the flashes off your camera.

The walk from the Louvre to the Notre Dame Cathedral was the trickiest one. It was a bit far, 20 – 30 minute walk from the Louvre. Although it was spring time, it rained a bit and caused us to wait for the rain

to stop. Suprisingly, there were no waiting sheds around the streets, which I found quite weird.

When we reached Notre Dame, there was some sort of program going on. Knights of the Altar were catwalking along the entrance, the big bell ringing continuously and people clapping and watching seriously.

It was a Saturday when I visited Paris and, I suggest you buy a prepaid train ticket a day in advance to free yourself from all the hassle. Unfortunately, me and my friends thought we could buy from any train station. But since it was a Saturday, there were no ticket vendors around. We had to take a cab from the city to the Marriott hotel near the airport, which took us about 40 minutes (and 40 euros). Good thing there were 4 of us, which means it only cost me 10 euros for the cab! I was able to buy myself a small Eiffel tower figurine which costs 1 euro, and the other 1 euro… A SOUVENIR! 

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3816071193710931/k2311a0716/7.16.10