Propellerhead’s Reason  » Software  »
  • But when I found out about Reason, after I gave it a try I was fully blown away by the quality and originality of the sound its instruments were generating - you almost cannot tell if it's music made with real instruments or virtual ones
  • But there are also con's, even to this amazing product

• by Woofy

I’ve been using Propellerhead’s Reason from the first version. It’s not the first digital music software which I’ve used to learn making music, but it’s the only software I now need to create my masterpieces. The previous software I have used was generating pretty standard sounds which were easy to recognize, so all my songs sounded almost the same. But when I found out about Reason, after I gave it a try I was fully blown away by the quality and originality of the sound its instruments were generating - you almost cannot tell if it’s music made with real instruments or virtual ones.

Besides the

quality of the sound, what makes it truly unique is its mind-blowing interface. All instruments look like real music hardware, like mixers, synthesizers, splitters, and so on, and you can make them generate sound by wiring them with almost-realistic cables - yeah, this makes it probably more complex than any other digital music software, but this feature also gives you practically unlimited possibilities in terms of sound and virtual instruments (besides the fact that each instrument has tons of controls that can be tweaked to achieve original new sounds).

There were not so many interface changes through its versions, but Reason’s developers have always added new instruments and tweaked the ...

• old ones. The latest version (v4) includes now a new pseudo-instrument, the Combinator. It’s not actually an instrument because it can be used only to group individual instruments together to achieve an unique sound that looks like being generated by the Combinator, spiking Reason’s sound possibilities even further!

This is one of the most unique and brilliant pieces of software I’ve ever used, and it thrills me each time I use it because it’s so much fun routing devices together to achieve new sounds and effects. But there are also con’s, even to this amazing product. It’s not really a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) like other digital music software, meaning

that it can’t make use of VST virtual instruments (but there’s actually no use of them because you can make the same sounds from scratch in Reason), and it’s also a standalone product and can be used as a client only in DAW hosts through a technology called ReWire. It also cannot generate MP3’s because of licensing issues which have not been solved yet after so many years, but you can convert your songs into WAV’s and then use a lot of free software that converts it to MP3.

Overall, this piece of software makes my day! It’s my favorite digital music software, and I’ve already made three albums using only this product.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3015071193320231/k2311a0715/7.15.10