Silent Hill (2006 movie)  » Movies  »
1.5
  • What I first saw the movie, I thought it was pretty good

• by Naoto

I’m quite the horror fanatic, especially when it comes to video games. Thus, I am quite the Silent Hill junkie. I absolutely love the games (with the exception of Homecoming and my minor dismays with Shattered Memories) and play them all the time.

Now, when I first saw the movie, I had never played any of the games before— mind you, this was quite a while ago. What I first saw the movie, I thought it was pretty good.

It was dark and at

least somewhat creepy, and the visuals were nice. I then proceeded to begin playing the games a few years later.

After playing the games, I went back and watched the movie, thinking I could appreciate it much more since I had played and understood the games. This assumption, however, was terribly wrong.

Here’s my review in a nutshell: If you have played the games and even relatively liked them, don’t… EVER… Watch this movie. You will find it to be the poorest adaptation of anything to he big screen.

It is far from following the plot of the games of which it was based on (at the time, only the first 3 Silent Hill games were out, and movie was mostly based on 1 with splashes of 2) and it almost ruins plot points made in the second game. Silent Hill fans will know of Pyramid Head, a monster in the second game that embodies the main characters regrets about many of the events prior to the game.

...

• Silent Hill (2006 movie)
      The main point of the game is actually to figure out the mystery surrounding the character and the reason Pyramid Head is so intent on chasing him around. However, in the movie, pyramid head was just thrown in.

I could see no symbolism behind the monster that was so heavily relied on in the game, or any symbolism at all for that matter. Another thing that really bothers me is the ending.

Not only does it seem to miss the point of the games

entirely, as how one character transfers between two ‘worlds’ that are created by the dark, cult-warped town of Silent Hill, but it makes so there are two separate worlds entirely. Not to mention that of all the endings to pick from out of the game, the movie chose the bad ending.

However, the first time I saw the movie, I remember enjoying it. So, I would say this would be something good to watch if you’ve never touched a Silent Hill game before.

Otherwise, I would not suggest watching it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1115071192750131/k2311a0715/7.15.10