GOM Player video media player software  » Software  »
2.5
  • Although this might have had something to do with the power of the graphics adapter used on that particular machine, the fact that it gave a different problem when I tried to use it on a different machine, does very little to convince me that this is a state of the art program

• by Banelisiwe Lubisi

A freeware product which is rather hard to find though, GOM Player has proved to be one of those alternative video media software files I use, specifically to play strange video format files and ones that the regular mainstream programs generally have never even heard of.

I stumbled upon GOM Player as video media player while trying to play a video format file I had never seen before, a .DAT file. An internet

search to match a video player that plays such files resulted in the acquisition of GOM Player for me and it has since come in rather handy up to now.

From occasional use of GOM Player, I get the distinct sense that it was developed specifically for those rare video formats, as it doesn’t handle the more conventional ones all too well for me. I tried to watch a DVD of Harry Potter ...

• using GOM Player and it gave some terrible feedback. Although this might have had something to do with the power of the graphics adapter used on that particular machine, the fact that it gave a different problem when I tried to use it on a different machine, does very little to convince me that this is a state of the art program.

If it’s not one thing it’s the other, and on the

different machine that I used to play the same DVD with the same software, the screen position was out of aspect, so my conclusion is that GOM Player is not made for everyday use, but should only be employed when the need arises.

Also, as time went by, one of the registries of the software was detected as a virus by my antivirus software and was subsequently deleted, corrupting the program and leaving it useless.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3015071192600131/k2311a0715/7.15.10