Strepsils Max, Pain Relief & Antiseptic Lozenges for Sore Throats With Hexylresorcinol
  • Whenever there is a sudden change of climate especially from scorching hot sunny to cooled down rainy weather, I will most definitely get a sore throat
  • I found that quite interesting and I had never seen this before probably because I wasn’t paying much attention to Strepsils and what they were coming up with
  • Usually Strepsils only provides antiseptic treatment but this one also had analgesic properties, which I thought was great
  • But then curiosity got the better of me and I decided to give it a try

• by true_value

Whenever there is a sudden change of climate especially from scorching hot sunny to cooled down rainy weather, I will most definitely get a sore throat. My mom always says that it is common in people who have a normally higher body temperature.

When the sore throat happens it just happens without prior warning. This time I felt this sudden dryness in my throat and shortly after, it felt sore and itchy. I am always fearful of sore throats because if I don’t treat it early I will end up with loss of voice. And that will prolong for at least couple of weeks and I would be left to manage with whispering and gestures, and not to mention making trips to the doctor.

I always try whatever possible to prevent my early symptoms from going full-blown. I quickly went out to get some lozenges as I was out of stock. I always use the Dequadin lozenges and that was

what I was planning to get. I never felt Strepsils were of much use for sore throats although that is what it is meant for. For me Strepsils works well if I have cough.

When I was at the store I saw the Strepsils Max in Blackcurrant. The purple color looked cute and got me attracted. On closer inspection I saw that it claimed to provide Pain Relief for Sore throats with its numbing action. I found that quite interesting and I had never seen this before probably because I wasn’t paying much attention to Strepsils and what they were coming up with.

Usually Strepsils only provides antiseptic treatment but this one also had analgesic properties, which I thought was great. The pack had 24 lozenges and was priced at S$4.00 they did not have a smaller pack at the store.

At the back of the pack were more details and precautions. It was mentioned that the lozenges ...

• were not suitable for children below 6 yrs of age and that dosage should not exceed 12 lozenges in 24 hours.

It was also mentioned that the Strepsils Max was not suitable to anyone who is allergic to aspirin or intolerant to carbohydrate and that the lozenges may occasionally cause allergic reactions, that Doctor’s consultation was required if anything unusual happens after using it or if one is pregnant or breastfeeding and that the product was unsuitable in hereditary fructose intolerance, glucose-galactose mal absorption syndrome or sucrose-isomaltose deficiency. My head was almost reeling after reading so much of precautions. I didn’t know an innocent looking lozenge could be of possible danger to some.

The active ingredients in the lozenge were Hexylresorcinol 2.4mg and the rest were sweetening agents, blackcurrant flavor and approved colorings.

I was half minded weather to buy it or to skip it. The precautions did sound scary. But then curiosity got the better of me and I decided to give

it a try.

I bought the full pack of 24 lozenges. The moment I made the payment I took one out and popped into my mouth. It tasted just like any blackcurrant mint but it did soothe my irritated throat. The lozenges were packed in bubble strips. There were two strips of 12 each and both were packed in sealed silver plastic sheet.

About 10 minutes later I could feel the numbing action as mentioned. But the numbing action was not only in my throat but my tongue and head too. After sucking on the lozenge I couldn’t taste any other food for couple of hours. And I felt slightly drowsy although it was not mentioned on the pack.

But it really was effective in curing my sore throat and the itchiness disappeared after 4 lozenges. I still have a lot remaining in my medicine box, which should be enough to seem through a few sore throat episodes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2614071192240831/k2311a0714/7.14.10