SilverStone Restaurant Chef 2.5 Qt Windsor Pan, Blue
  • I have to say straight off I bought this pan at Safeway having no idea of what a Windsor Pan is or why I would want one
  • I chose it because it was half price and I think I was attracted to the unusual shape
  • In the store I liked that it’s nice and heavy and I like the nice grippy handle and the fact that it’s riveted on
  • For me, getting an interesting and unusual new pan is also fun to collect for the sheer novelty of it
  • I mean basically, any liquidy food that you want to heat quickly without burning is a good match for this pan in my opinion

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I have to say straight off I bought this pan at Safeway having no idea of what a Windsor Pan is or why I would want one. I chose it because it was half price and I think I was attracted to the unusual shape. I’ve been collecting cookware recently and in particular I have my eye out for non stick pans right now. I’ve gone sort of crazy over them actually. It seems to me that they’re so much better than they were years ago. In the store I liked that it’s nice and heavy and I like the nice grippy handle and the fact that it’s riveted on. I am so over those rickety old non sticks with their unstable screw in handles.

For me, getting an interesting and unusual new pan is also fun to collect for the sheer novelty of it. Hey, I figure if Nigella Lawson can get away with using cooking tools she knows nothing about on her tv show then so can

I. Anyway, this is definitely new to me. I don’t think I’ve ever owned a non stick pan that wasn’t a skillet of some sort. I like the fact that it has little spouts for pouring on either side too. As I am left handed that’s really great because I never have to switch hands when pouring. Of course, that begs the question of what would I be pouring exactly.

Not really knowing what to do with it at first, I decided to use it like a regular sauce pan to reheat a stew. That worked well, as I thought it might. Then I got brave and tried actually cooking things in it.

Cut to the chase, the thing I’m most excited by with this pan is that I can heat milk in it without scorching it. That’s awesome, because I was finally able to make hot chocolate from scratch which I could never do with my stainless steel saucepans without burning the milk. It always burns a little ...

• on the bottom, and it’s really hard to clean from the stainless steel.. Anyway, I was also able to make a nice white sauce for a homemade mac n’ cheese recipe I was trying out. The flared shape of this pan makes it really easy for me to scrape down the sides with a silicone spatula while I’m stirring a sauce.

Aside from the fact that the handle is blue and not black it goes really well with my other non stick pans. Just like my other non sticks, it’s easy to clean and dries quickly on my dish rack (I would not recommend putting it in the dishwasher, btw). It also does things my other shallow fry pans do not, so regardless of the fact that I do not have a lot of room in my cupboards for extra pots and pans I feel it’s a welcome addition to my kitchen.

I think this non stick pan is versatile enough that people should feel free to use it for

stove top use anyway it suits them. I mean basically, any liquidy food that you want to heat quickly without burning is a good match for this pan in my opinion. I’m really enjoying it for heating soup, creating sauces and making all kinds of hot beverages, especially hot chocolate.

On a side note, as I was still curious about just what a Windsor pan is, I looked it up on Yahoo. According to a website that sells cooking tools, these pans are specifically designed for reducing sauces. Interesting. I don’t think that really applies to me though. I mostly just do wine reductions, which for me means cooking down the wine in the same skillet I cooked the meat in. So, I don’t know exactly what kind of sauces I would be reducing in this thing. I’m still a little confused about that. I’m just a home cook. Maybe some professional chef out there knows…

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5314071192220831/k2311a0714/7.14.10