Breckenridge Ski Resort  » Travel  »
1599 County Road 3 Breckenridge, CO 80424
  • My first official run down Breckenridge was in a ski patrol toboggan while getting oxygen (a little embarrassing when you consider that I'm a fast ski racer and strongest skier in our group when skiing back home on Minnesota slopes)
  • It was still a ton of fun skiing at Breckenridge and I will definitely be going back again in the future
  • Since we stayed with a couple of local friends, I do not have any experience with lodging in Breckenridge
  • I highly recommend visiting Breckenridge after you have had other experiences at different mountains above 10,000 feet

• by Snowflake

Breckenridge Ski Resort is my favorite place to ski in the Rocky Mountains. They have a huge variety of terrain and the slopes are not overly crowded depending on where you ski or board. We skied mostly on Peak 8 because Peak 9 is the most popular place for visitors (it can get very crowded on Peak 9).

The base elevation of the mountain is 9,600 feet. So, if you have never been in the mountains before, it’s not a good place to start out. I got mountain sickness quickly and suffered from mountain sickness during the entire trip (I live in Minnesota and had never been above 3,000 feet before traveling to Colorado). My first official run down Breckenridge was in a ski patrol toboggan while getting oxygen (a little embarrassing when you consider that I’m a fast ski racer and strongest skier in our group when skiing back home on Minnesota

slopes). The ski patrol helped me immediately when I arrived in their patrol building at the top of Peak 9 (elevation here is almost 13,000 feet). They were very caring, and their service was excellent. A patroller skied me down to the base patrol room where I stayed for a little longer until the mountain sickness was not as severe.

After a little break, we mainly stuck to just skiing the runs that are serviced by the lower lifts. It was still a ton of fun skiing at Breckenridge and I will definitely be going back again in the future.

One of the places we ate at in Breckenridge was Blue River Bistro. The food was excellent, and it comes in large portions. If you have mountain sickness one of the symptoms is lack of appetite. So, ordering one entree or one meal and splitting it between two people will be plenty of ...

• food to fill up both of you. As a group, we ordered two entrees and two meals, and split the food between four people (I was the only person with mountain sickness). There was so much food that we still had extra food left over when everyone was done eating.

Since we stayed with a couple of local friends, I do not have any experience with lodging in Breckenridge. Peak 9 seems to be the busiest place, so I’d suggest finding lodging anywhere other than the base of Peak 9.

One thing to be aware of when skiing on Peak 8 is the ‘Four O’clock’ trail. If you stay on that run all the way down the mountain, then you will end up stopping at the edge of a city street. The only good thing about this is that you will not be alone as several other people make the same mistake. It’s

very common to see skiers and boarders get stranded here, pull out cell phones, and have to ask others in their group to come pick them up. The wait can also be very long if you get stranded here since whoever you call on the mountain will have to get down the mountain first, make their way to the vehicle, and then drive around to find exactly where you are stranded. If you happen to get onto the ‘Four O’clock’ run, I highly suggest quickly getting off when you see a sign for any chairlift. There are no signs up saying the run ends at a city street, so watch signs carefully to find which way to go to any chairlift.

Overall skiing at Breckenridge was a great experience. Minus the mountain sickness, it was a wonderful trip. I highly recommend visiting Breckenridge after you have had other experiences at different mountains above 10,000 feet.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3814071191150631/k2311a0714/7.14.10