“Seize the Night” by Dean Koontz

• by Elaine

First of all, I am not a huge Dean Koontz fan. I enjoy the genre and I like similar authors such as Stephen King, but I’ve never been able to really get into Koontz. His ideas are usually quite good but his writing style has never fully enthralled me.

That being said, I actually enjoyed this book. Released in 1999, it’s not one of his newest books but I believe it’s one of his better books.

I won’t go too much into detail about the plot, in case you haven’t read it

yet, but I’ll give a brief synopsis. Basically, children are disappearing. The main character, Christopher Snow, is a sufferer of XP (a skin condition that makes him highly susceptible to light) and therefore he lives his life in the dark. He takes it upon himself to find the missing children, along with the help of a few friends. There is also an ex-military base with a rather creepy reputation and an eerie atmosphere. The rest you can discover yourself by reading the book!

The plot is fairly good, although ...

• it seems to try to add too many storylines into one story. One of the ongoing plot twists never actually comes to an end, for example.

The characters are actually quite good and I found myself growing attached to them as the novel progressed. Usually I don’t get quite so attached to Koontz’s characters but the ones in this story were quite endearing.

The atmosphere was pretty good. Dark and creepy without being too cliche. You felt as if light and safety waited around the corner even at the worst of

times, but even when the characters where laughing or making jokes you could still feel ominous elements in the background.

Overall, it’s definitely worth a read if you like a good horror novel. It’s not bloody or graphic but it has a nice element of suspense. Several parts of the story had the hairs standing up on the back of my neck. While not on par with Stephen King, it’s an entertaining book and I found myself eager to read more at the end of each chapter. Give it a try!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1711071187141131/k2311a0711/7.11.10