Yamaha TSX-120 Portable player dock
  • I like sleeping in total darkness, and lights from electrical appliances are really annoying

• by LaPinay

Our house had to be renovated after the Katrina-like flood totally destroyed it and everything inside. We moved temporarily to a relative’s house and I was fortunate that I got the room of my cousin who is an audiophile. She was working abroad and so she left her room intact and she let me use everything in it. She sent over for her room an iPod dock, the Yamaha TSX-120 Portable player dock, which of course I was allowed to use. She even sent over an iPod Touch together with it.

Out of

the box, the Yamaha portable player is aesthetically pleasing. It’s a combination of old and contemporary, highlighted by the wooden veneer on its top. It blended well in the feminine bedroom that I temporarily occupied. Although Yamaha is more known for its musical instruments, they seemed to have done well with this portable dock player. It’s a bit heavy, about eight (8) pounds, but easy enough to move from place to place. While I was still loading the iPod touch with songs, I preset the radio and let it play in the
      background. The sound quality was surprisingly good delivered by two 8-cm full-range speakers with bass reflex ports at the back. The audio was fully dispersed in the room. But don’t rely on this for a loud party though. But if all you want is a good sound entertainment for a small number of people, it can do its part. The room that the dock was put in did not have good acoustics, open wide windows and solid cement walls do not always highlight a good stereo system. The Yamaha TSX-120 did pretty ...

• Yamaha TSX-120 Portable player dock
      well not withstanding, and the sound did not come off as clanging. After loading music in the iPod touch, the player was forever playing in the room and helped me go to sleep.

It has an alarm clock and was thus perfect to wake me up early to work online when internet surfing was faster. Yamaha very thoughtfully put an automatic dimmer adjustment to the text in the front panel. I like sleeping in total darkness, and lights from electrical appliances are really annoying. This feature was a godsend to me.

In terms

of audio quality, the one thing that was disappointing was the lack of equalizer. But since iPods already deliver excellent sound quality, this was not too noticeable in this portable player. Nevertheless, despite its lack of equalizer, Yamaha can keep up with similar portable docking systems in terms of audio quality. Yamaha tried to spruce up the player by providing four sound shaping options (Normal, Mild, Heavy and Live), but to me, there was no significant enhancement in the sound.

All in all, this is a good addition to a small entertainment system.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1611071186961131/k2311a0711/7.11.10