Toyota Rav4 4×2 2003  » Cars  »
  • But if you compare the acceleration of the Rav4 against the Honda CRV, this car definitely beats it
  • The addition of the Macpherson Struts and double wishbone suspensions contributed to a more stable and controllable driving experience

• by Carlisle

The second generation Toyota Rav4 caught my eye with its bug-like headlights, honeycomb grill, and its charming streamlined exterior.

The Toyota Rav4 was available in two models here in the Philippines—the two wheel drive (4×2) and the four-wheel drive (4×4). The 4×2 model came with a 1.8 Litre 16 valve VVT-i DOHC gasoline engine and the 4×4 came with a 2.0 Litre 16 valve VVT-i DOHC gas engine. As a college car, I opted for the 1.8 L 4×2 model due to increasing gas prices and the fact that I didn’t need a 2.0 Litre 4×4 model for city driving.

I got 0-96 kph in 9.6 second with the DOHC VVT-i engine. I know, I know,

it’s not that fast! But if you compare the acceleration of the Rav4 against the Honda CRV, this car definitely beats it! Handling corners is a breeze. Steering is quick to react making the Rav4 more responsive in making subtle changes while I’m driving. This car also makes cornering trouble-free; I can almost feel the tires gripping the asphalt as I cut corners. The addition of the Macpherson Struts and double wishbone suspensions contributed to a more stable and controllable driving experience. The ride is never bumpy, but as the SUV ages vibrations can be felt while driving. Wind blasting through the car and road noise on low quality roads during high speed cruising ...

• is a little invading. The engine roars when I got to around 6,000 RPM on the fifth gear and I could smell burning clutch. I don’t know what causing this though. The instrumental panel looks sporty with its orange backlight. Knobs and AC controls are easy to reach. I was also able to adjust the brightness of the backlight using a knob found on the left lower side of the steering wheel. Large doors provide an easy way in and out of the vehicle. There’s also ample leg room. The driver’s seat can be adjusted just by turning the knob on the left side of the seat. It can also be adjusted horizontally. The steering
        wheel can be modified vertically to suit the driving comfort. There’s plenty of storage room in the centre and front passenger glove box. The back seat can fit 3 medium built passengers. I was able to fold the seats into 50-50 to have more storage room. The cargo bay is huge! I remember fitting my newly purchased bike while the back seats were folded and there were even more space for the grocery bags!

Overall, the Toyota Rav4 2003 model is a fun, practical and sporty SUV to own. With its affordable price tag, reliability, Toyota’s safety track record and nationwide availability of its parts, this SUV can definitely serve you well. It scores great with the ladies too!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 910071186400931/k2311a0710/7.10.10