Banaue Rice Terraces  » Travel  »
  • Watching them especially around sunset time is a religious experience

• by LaPinay

I grew up knowing that the Banaue Rice Terraces is the eighth (8th) wonder of the world. Back then it was a grueling twelve-hour journey over the most horrible road and made only by the most adventurous. I only saw pictures of them and even then, I swore to myself that I would visit the terraces as soon as I had the means. So when my friend asked

me if I wanted to go, I immediately said yes and packed for a mountain getaway.

Rice terraces are efficient in irrigating rice fields. It catches rain at the top and lets it slide all the way down. I have seen rice terraces all over Asia, but the ones in Banaue are unique because our ancestors carved entire mountains by bare hands thousands of years ago when tools were ...

• still unknown. They are a magnificent sight to behold, and just thinking of how it was built by my ancestors made me respect them all the more. They built mountains and mountains of terraced rice paddies and planted different kinds of plant. They worked with nature in order to survive a harsh environment such as the Cordillera range. Watching them especially around sunset time is a religious experience.

Although the rice terraces are scattered all over the region, majority of them are clustered in Banaue. The more popular route is through Baguio, but we chose to take a circuitous route, passing through Nueva Ecija. The trip itself is a treat as you will get a feel of the people living in this region. This is one trip that you should make at least once in your lifetime.

Banaue Rice Terraces

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 389071185240931/k2311a079/7.9.10