Cost Plus World Market Jewelry  » Jewelry  »
1999 Fremont Blvd, Seaside California
  • Cost Plus World Market, or World Market as this nationwide chain of stores seems to prefer to be called now has become one of those places for me
  • The problem is that most of them are just way too big around
  • Lastly, their earrings are nice, but unfortunately most of the designs are of the dangly sort that would get caught up in my hair so I don’t ever bother with those
  • I might consider them as a gift for a friend though
  • So long as they do that I know I’ll find myself looking for excuses to go there and browse their jewelry section

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I’m a sucker for inexpensive yet well designed costume jewelry. My favorite place to shop for it used to be Long’s Drugs. They always seemed to have tons of fun designs and a lot of the time it was on sale. But, it’s not the same now that Long’s has become CVS Pharmacy. Actually, I have come to dislike shopping at CVS but that’s another review entirely.

I have been forced to seek out other sources since then. Cost Plus World Market, or World Market as this nationwide chain of stores seems to prefer to be called now has become one of those places for me. It makes sense, because I tend to shop there regularly anyway. They have a lot to choose from. It actually surprises me just how much floor space they devote to jewelry and accessories at these stores. I go to the one in Seaside Ca. I’m pretty sure,though, as they are a national chain every Cost Plus World Market store across the U.S. would have a similar selection.

Let me start of by saying that I don’t love all of their jewelry equally. For example, their rings are fun and I’ve purchased them from time to time.

But, they’re often clunky, and uncomfortable to wear. This is also true of some of their bracelets, and in particular their chunkier resin bangles. I have to exercise a lot of restraint to pass these up because they look just wonderful on display. Some of them look like some of the fabulous old Bakelite bracelets that I would collect if I were a rich lady. I was very tempted by a transparent pink one that had a peacock feather design. The problem is that most of them are just way too big around. Really, they’re mannish in size to me and I don’t know why that is. I’m used to bangles that are on the small side anyway, just big enough to slip my hand through without too much tugging and pulling. Lastly, their earrings are nice, but unfortunately most of the designs are of the dangly sort that would get caught up in my hair so I don’t ever bother with those. I might consider them as a gift for a friend though.

By far though the stuff I’m most excited by is their necklaces. I’m referring specifically to their metal necklaces. They have some pretty beaded necklaces too, but ...

• they’re more ordinary and not as special. So, I ignore those and make a b line for their all metal designs. Out of all their jewelry, these pieces are consistently the most fun, original and comfortable to wear. I’m always on the lookout for interesting colors of metal in jewelry. One of my favorites from there is a copper colored necklace that has a ginko leaf dangling from the center. I don’t see a lot of copper toned jewelry so I felt really lucky to be able to snap that one up. Another favorite is a bib style necklace of leaves and metal balls in a dull pewter sort of finish. It has a really big showy look, but the metal they chose is extremely light which makes it so easy to wear.

A lot of times the metal is textured, hammered, dimpled or pierced. And it’s often got a patina to it as well. I feel that gives the pieces a lot of character. If I saw them on someone else and didn’t know they came from World Market, I would swear some of them were vintage. One piece that I really like is actually a cuff bracelet that’s got sort

of an antique brass finish. I like it because the metal is flexible and I can just squeeze it onto my hand to get the fit I want. I know, I was talking about necklaces but I just had to mention that. Even when they do gold tone, which is not my favorite, it’s often a softer, more subdued finish which I prefer to that brassy look of fake gold.

Another thing I discovered is just like Long’s their jewelry goes on sale a lot. Only a few short weeks after I bought my copper colored necklace it was on sale for half off.

Anyway, I really enjoy that section of the World Market store right now. Unique finds and good deals bring out the collector in me. I hope they’ll keep it up and continue to offer interesting and unusual designs. So long as they do that I know I’ll find myself looking for excuses to go there and browse their jewelry section. If you’re live near a Cost Plus World Market store, are into costume jewelry and on a tight budget, it’s worth taking a gander.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 458071185040531/k2311a078/7.8.10