Ever Bilena Matte Lip Color in Scarlet
  • At first, I thought the color was intimidating
  • I had a problem in the beginning because I didn’t know how to work it out
  • The lipstick clings readily on the mouth but difficult to produce a fuller coverage with sparse unfinished edges that I wanted to fill, yet too small to avoid bleeding towards the sides
  • In the end, I learned to get dirty with it and just simply rim the lipstick all over the lips, in a more deliberate way
  • I recommend this lipstick especially for those with an upbeat taste

• by jhunie

A thrift find I saw recently from the mall, I still couldn’t believe I snagged this expensive-looking item. I’ve been wearing pink and blush toned lipsticks almost perpetually while suppressing the urge to again, wear a bold matte lip. I tried playing with a bunch of red lip colors before, mostly pricey lippies, but the highly saturated reds usually fare like coral tones on my fair skin. I wanted a few pegs deeper than the ones I already own. There was nothing striking about this lipstick at a glance, but it’s surprising to note that this brand of cosmetics has a slightly updated ‘flavoring’, also tagged with competitive pricing. Matte lipsticks are not really modern by origin, it’s just a new term to call for the passé lip colors back in the days and resurrected because currently, semi-mattes with richer formulas are such drabs. This lipstick turned out to be unapologetically matte, so it’s something special to throw in my stash.

I’m tired of putting my Makeup Forever Mattifying Cream as an add-on to my extra creamy lipsticks to

tone down and flat out the shiny excess. At first, I thought the color was intimidating. When I gave the compact lipstick a lift, it appeared as hard as a candle wax, almost resembling a stubby stick of a child’s crayon. But the matte lipstick is easy to apply on the mouth. It builds a luscious red shade instantaneously as you run it over the lips. I had a problem in the beginning because I didn’t know how to work it out. I’m used to the short tapping strokes I often employ as an effective technique, as I’m careful not to let the pigments travel on my teeth. The lipstick clings readily on the mouth but difficult to produce a fuller coverage with sparse unfinished edges that I wanted to fill, yet too small to avoid bleeding towards the sides. In the end, I learned to get dirty with it and just simply rim the lipstick all over the lips, in a more deliberate way.

It helps to line the lips first to be guided as you ...

• dab it along the contours of the mouth. Eventually, I got my way around it without mistakes and sometimes I just leave it unfinished. Besides, my lip liner doesn’t blend well with the color so I thought it’s prudent to keep the slightly raw finish. However, the red lipstick wears out for a short period of time when I go the easy route. That said, I advise it’s important to use a lip liner if you’re going for long-wearing red puckers that don’t budge, even when you eat and drink. A lip balm extends the wear of the lipstick and I find it’s easier to run over my lips when it’s properly moisturized. It’s also pretty handy for smoothing out the bare texture of the lips so the lipstick doesn’t feather and settle into lines.

I love the raw matte finish of the lipstick. Its red tone, a shade called scarlet, has no orangey undertones and just a few shades lighter than a dark rouge lipstick. I enjoy wearing the lip color whenever I feel a little

dressier than usual. It’s a classic color and I love the way it registers in photographs. The shade looks royal and truly outlined the shape of my mouth despite the fact: I barely had anything on my face, not even on my peepers, yet the lipstick was a praiseworthy statement on the mouth. Contrary to conventional terms, I like slapping this red lipstick on during the day because the shade looks fashionable with a girlish flare. By the evening, it just transforms to something elegant but I’m afraid it will make me look matronly. Sometimes, I like to leave it chunked out with a feathered finish to make it more spontaneous, like a red stain.

I think I got it only for 2 dollars. I like that it’s resistant to humidity as it doesn’t get sticky. The sleek black case reminds me of Chanel and it really looks discreet in terms of branding. I recommend this lipstick especially for those with an upbeat taste.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 318071184990531/k2311a078/7.8.10