Hotel Grand Chancellor Auckland City  » Hotels  »
2.0
1 Hobson Street, Auckland
  • When we got there we were disappointed for the vouchers given to us by the hotel receptionist for 'two free house drinks', no cocktails, in fact they don't even have cocktails there
  • Unfortunately the pool was out of action when we were there although i'd forgotten my swimming togs anyway, and the room housing the pool is very dark and dingy
  • The thing that ruined the experience was the bar/ restaurant, under no circumstances would I recommend going there

• by SchumiRaceFan

Recently on a trip to auckland for a few days escape after finishing university for the semester me and my girlfriend chose to stay at the Hotel Grand Chancellor Auckland City. Choosing on price isn’t always the smartest or extras they’ve added on as they aren’t always what they seem.

For a start the cheap hotel deal site claimed ‘two free cocktails’ which sounded pretty good. When we got there we were disappointed for the vouchers given to us by the hotel receptionist for ‘two free house drinks’, no cocktails, in fact they don’t even have cocktails there.

We arrived much

too early as we had an early flight into the city but the reception at the hotel allowed us to pre-sign in which was good and also gave us the drinks vouchers and allowed us to leave our bags in a storage room.

Unfortunately the pool was out of action when we were there although i’d forgotten my swimming togs anyway, and the room housing the pool is very dark and dingy.

The staff had helpfully moved our bags up to our room when we had got back although it did put us in a panic as the reception staff were ...

• different and didn’t know where our bags were when we asked to collect them.

The room was nice, I liked the amount of stuff the kitchenette had, if we’d stayed longer it would have made for a cheaper stay and the balcony would have been pleasant in nicer weather. The hotel being on the same hill as skycity/ sky tower meant a nice short walk.

The thing that ruined the experience was the bar/ restaurant, under no circumstances would I recommend going there. Its small, it has very few bar tables, there is no flow from bar to restaurant. I didn’t like

the fact they had some awful old radio station on, competing with an old rear projection television which was also turned up far too loud to talk properly. And the free drinks were limited to wine which was very stale, it must have been opened a month or two before or some awful cheap beer. Its quite serious if you don’t even go back the second night to get the other two free drinks and we didn’t.

So overall I’d recommend it if a kitchenette is important and the pool would have been alright if you don’t expect a view.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 28071183850331/k2311a078/7.8.10